Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Pegasus World Cup Entrants & Cigar Pairings

B"H
"The inaugural running of this industry-leading thoroughbred invitational is the vision of The Stronach Group founder, Frank Stronach, and exemplifies The Stronach Group’s commitment to modernizing and elevating the sport of horse racing for the next generation of fans...
The Pegasus World Cup Invitational is the world’s richest thoroughbred horse race! The innovative Pegasus World Cup Invitational, to be contested at 1 1/8 miles on the dirt, is restricted to 12 horses. Twelve owners have reserved a spot in the starting gate for $1 million USD." www.PegasusWorldCup.com
Some more morsels: race is open to four year-olds and up. Whilst this inaugural running is set to take place at Gulfstream Park in Hallandale Beach, Florida -- don't get used to it. The Pegasus Cup won't return to its roots, not right-away, anyway. This, even though the Pegasus World Cup hath arguably replaced the important Donn, raced there since 1959 and named after the Donn Family, long-time owners of the old Gulf Stream Park. Nevertheless, the Stronach Group announced that the '18 Pegasus will take place at Santa Anita.

But, gentlepersons, lettuce go back to the future and focus on the up-coming '17 edition. It's a match-race, right? First, what's wrong with that? Secondly, A million bucks is a lot to "pony up," as did ten other owners doth do here, in a foregone conclusion of a loss. Plus, California Chrome, as brilliant as he is, seems lacking in the air of unbeatableness of say, an American Pharoah or Zenyatta of recentness. Too, I've already equated Arrogate with boxing's Mr. Vasyl Lomachencko in that two graded stakes wins aren't much more to build a dynasty upon than are seven career wins. Albeit his Travers Stakes and Breeders' Cup Classic wins were against stiffer competition than Misters Roman Martinez and even Nicholas Walters. Plus there's the loss to Mr. Orlando Salido... but I should proly digress...

That stated, for any of them other ten to win would involve them performing at a level they've not done-so on before. Sounds a bit like being perfect; I don't bet on perfect. Even then, they might require the aid of a bad trip, off-track, lightening strike-like act of G-d, et cetera.

"Just one more thing..." Columbo. 
Why's Conor McGregor infiltrating first boxing, now horse racing? I'll plotz if/when he starts in on cigars.
ENTRANTS
Arrogate
The four year-old USA bred colt, son of Unbridled's Song -- I already covered him up-top. Looks like a late-blooming superstar. Looks like. If anyone can insure it, it's Bob Baffert. I'd pair Arrogate with a Fable Cigars Fourth Prime.

Breaking Lucky
This five year-old horse is Canadian, so he's most likely already begun apologizing for his Pegasus showing. Mayhaps this son of Lookin At Lucky's biggest brag is he latest run. A second place finish at the GI Clark Handicap this past November. I'd pair Breaking Lucky With a Lucky Leaf Ignoto.

California Chrome 
I mentioned every-one's fav six year-old up-top already, a la Arrogate. Would I like to add something? Sure. I like that he bites people. Also, I was late in coming around to liking this rich son of Lucky Pulpit. I can now say without hesitation -- I like him verily more now than I'll ever like his trainer Art Sherman. I've paired California Chrome before, no? Rings a bell. Since I don't read my own stuff, I'll simply pair again: Uhm... Alec Bradley Prensado.

Eragon
An Argentinian entry. Or at least I assume that's what ARG stands for... maybe he was born on a pirate ship? Of his five races, his latest four have been GI Stakes, of which his worst finish was place. That is correct, gentlepersons, this son of whomever Offlee Wild is, touts twice the resume of Arrogate. Sorta, kinda. I'd pair Eragon with a Felix Assouline Ego.

Keen Ice
Might I quote myself in a recent Shemp's Last Day post? "This upcoming (1/28) inaugural romp is set up to be huge beyond its world's richest purse of $12M, as it is the stage for what many see as a match-race twixt swan-song-singing-superstar California Chrome and late-blooming but meteorically up and coming Arrogate. Gentlepersons humsover, lettuce not look past the somewhat surprising entrant of Keen Ice, running with Neolithic and each under the watchful eye of one Mr. Todd Pletcher." I'm not sure I believe me. I do humsoever believe I'll pair Keen Ice with an Obsidian White Noise.

Neolithic
See: Keen Ice, vastly. Apologies, gentlepersons. I'm shy on time and working on a boot, to book. A book, to boot. RoMa Craft Neanderthal would pair thee well.

Noble Bird
This hot-&-cold running six year-old horse from the good ol' USofA is currently running cold. His last out was the Clark Hcp where he finished seventh. Streaky, yes -- but said streaks of his tend to oft last longer than single races. Before the Clark, he was hot. Bad timing, here. I'd pair Noble Bird with a Lost & Found Le Pigeon.

Prayer for Relief
This nine year-old horse with Seattle Slew blood in his veins ain't won since the Tenacious Handicap on December 21st 2013. Wow. I wanna say I've won a race since 2013. He's out of Zayat Stables -- so he's got that going for him, and that's good. I'd pair Prayer of any kind, for Relief included, with an Ave Maria Immaculata.

Ralis
This four year-old Cali colt shined in the '15 GI Hopeful Stakes. Lo, hope is expensive and since ain't done much shining. A Reddam Racing rep who's been plugged in to the spot they bought for Nyquist, the ward of Mr. Doug F. O'neill last finished fourth-to-last (9th) in the Breeders' Cup Turf. I'd pair Ralis with a Padilla Single Batch.

Shaman Ghost
Thisy here five year old horse from Ghostzapper wins his share, but fails to ever truly impress me -- for what that's worth. Might just finish tickling the moolah here. He is running outta Stronach Stables, in a Stronach Group race -- for what that's worth. Seems to be punching over his weight-class here, but that could be said about any horse not named either California Chrome or Arrogate. I would rate him a "Meh." A new rating term instituted in THIS Cigars City Podcast. I'd pair the Cup's other Canuck with a Chillin' Moose (which we'll be smoking on the 1/29 Cigars City Podcast).

War Envoy
Who? Oy vey (upon research and Manischewitz. OK, OK. Manischewitz and research.) Lettuce see... Warped Futuro.

[edit 1/20/17]
War Envoy seems out, in is --

Gun Runner
The best bet I see to breaking up the race's popular exactas of Chromie/Arrogate Arrogate/Chromie, is this four year-old Kentucky bred colt. Coming off an impressive win at the GI Clark Hcp in November. Almost always finishing in-the-money, as stated, I can verily see GR being the meat in a win, place, show sammich. I'd pair Gun Runner with a CAO Consigliere.

War Story
Neat name, if you buy a Gurkha for the big knife it comes with. Outta his league here, since it ain't the Pegasus World Allowance. I'd pair War Story with a Gurkha War Pig, natch.

I really petered out at the end here, huh? It's the Manny. Too, the book. Worst part of book-writing? Reading yer words over and over and over and...
Celebrating Shemp’s Last Day, everyday.
HORSE RACING | BOXING | CIGARS

Look for me on Facebook:
The Kaplowitz Mishpucha
Have you Kaplowitz’d to-day?

Listen to:
Cigars City Podcast
Kaplowitz Reads Kapowitz

Read these:
18 Sabbaths
Index of cigar reviews

Great cigars, great prices, great customer service
What’s not to like? www.CigarsCity.com

Boutique as... pardon my French.
www.JasSumKral.com

If you enjoyed this post, please consider sharing it via the buttons below.
Sharing is a quick, easy, and free way to help me grow my audience.

If you’ve enjoyed a buncha these posts, please consider donating.
PayPal: paypal.me/Kaplowitz
...over and over and...
L’shalom