Thursday, January 14, 2016

Eclipse Awards Picks (& Cigar Pairings)

The Annual Eclipse Awards are a-comin' up quick. I figured I'd be remiss if I did not attempt to 'handicap' the outcomes. Whilst assembling these, essentially my meaningless Eclipse Award votes, I realized something -- I was assembling a best of list for the year. 

Why it is this gob-smacked me is that I swore off making a Best of 2015 Cigar List, as some made mention I should. "Why would anyone care what I thought?" Was my rebuttal.

After putting together this Eclipse Award list, and preparing to post it, it dawned on me: "Why would anyone care what I thought?" But I had already compiled it, and darned I'd be, if I let those two and a half minutes of hard research go to waste. Then I had an idea --

Why not offer TWO lists all at once, for people to not care about? Seems as though there might be minimal interest there, in ignoring a couple of things at the same time. Follow? Good.

Oh, but this isn't so much a best of 2015 cigars. This is PAIRING, gentlepersons. Let me explain -- I shall match a cigar I bestowed an A rating upon during 2015, with a horse I choose as an Eclipse winner. Still follow? Liar! Still yet, this should be fun.

Further fun? See if you can guess why I paired a certain cigar to a certain horse. I have my reasons, gentlepersons. I might even discuss and debate 'em.

HORSE OF THE YEAR
American Pharoah
Triple Crown Winner. Grand Slam Winner. 'Nuff and congrats.
Tennessee Waltz by Crowned Heads

TWO YEAR-OLD MALE
Nyquist
A reasonably potential'd Affirmed to American Pharoah's Seattle Slew.
My Father No. 2 Belicoso

TWO YEAR-OLD FEMALE
Songbird
The filly simply dominated.

THREE YEAR-OLD MALE
American Pharoah
[See: HotY]
"

THREE YEAR-OLD FEMALE
Found
Stellar Wind's light campaign; I'm a Chatterbox faltered more recently.
Crowned Heads La Imperiosa

OLDER MALE
Honor Code
Won the Whitney head-to-head-to-head against the other nominees.
Camacho Connecticut

OLDER FEMALE
Beholder
Five-for-five in 2015 w/ three graded stakes wins; high-lighted by a Pacific Classic romp.
Illusione Epernay 2009

MALE TURF
Golden Horn
He's just gonna win this, OK?
RoMa Craft Tobac Aquitaine

FEMALE TURF
Tepin
Undefeated at a mile throughout her campaign. Beat the boys at the Breeders Cup.
Nomad Connecticut Fuerte

MALE SPRINTER
Runhappy
Drama, a self-promoting owner, six-of-seven on the year for $1.48 in earnings. Whew!
La Aurora Preferidos Gold

FEMALE SPRINTER
Lady Shipman
I don't buy another horse any more than I do LS. But that ain't a lot.
La Aurora 107

STEEPLECHASE HORSE
???
They jump over stuff, right?
???
TRAINER
Bob Baffert
I'd give it to Mr. Baffert minus AP. Probably.
Cohiba "Red Dot"

OWNER
Zayat Stables
(AP)
LH Premium Cigars Maduro

BREEDER
Zayat Stables
(AP)
(See: Owner)

JOCKEY
Javier Castellano
My lone deviation from AP and his human connections. An historical campaign.
Nat Sherman 1930

APPRENTICE JOCKEY
Eric Cancel
19 years-old, $5.3M in mount earnings. Won 101 times; ran his share of graded stakes.
Psyko Seven

Let the meaningless controversy begin, gentlepersons! And remember, if ya can't keep it clean, keep it Yiddish. Until next time, thanks for reading and abi gezunt dos leben ken men zikh ale mol nemen.

POSTSCRIPT: a LINK to my Sabbath Smoker audio review of the Eclipse awards.