Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Hoyo La Amistad by AJ Fernandez - Cigar Review

Hoyo de Monterrey
La Amistad by AJ Fernandez
660 Toro
NOTES:
I
Dried fruit rides high with a higher cinnamon/clove led piquant kick, smooths into chocolate car-a-mel note. Red/cayenne peppers, kindly 'nuff. Leathers and grains, complexly so in the middlings next to some coffee yogurt. Walnuts and barnyard under-belly. Richly rounded and nuanced. Excellently rolled with superb draw and burn.

II
Primaries and middlings flip to a degree, and some fat is thinned. More smoothing, on a more liquidy delivery. Honey malt. Floral bits emerge. Walnut up-swing. Pack softens a tick, but draw and seams hold fast. Verily a nice pacing. Complexity dulls but nuances remain. Draw heats-some in 3/3.

FINAL GRADE: A-
A 90-100 B 80-89 C 70-79 D 60-69 F 0-59
WRAPPER: Ecuadorian Habano
BINDER: Nicaraguan
FILLER: Nicaraguan

STRENGTH: Medium-Full
ORIGIN: Nicaragua

Get the Hoyo de Monterrey La Amistad Toro from my buddies my chums my pals over at Cigars City.

BITES:
Mr. A(bdel)J Fernandez stated: "I grew up very near to the Hoyo de Monterrey farm and I have always had a love for the brand. When it came time to develop this blend, I put my heart and soul into it. To me, this project represents how far my family and I have come since Cuba, and how our expertise in tobacco continues to be recognized. This cigar represents the best of me and my factory and I am proud to be a part of this collaboration."
BoSox manager John Farrell to the NY Times: "I’m aware of the rule. Electronic devices are not to be used in the dugout. Beyond that, all I can say is it’s a league matter at this point."

MLB Commish Rob Manfred told Fenway Park beat writers: "We will conduct a thorough investigation on both sides. We’re 100 percent comfortable that it is not an ongoing issue."

Damn Yankees skipper Joe Girardi: "I think electronics makes things easier, more accessible and more dangerous. If you can use electronics for other things, I think you ought to be able to use them somehow in the game to communicate where just a few people know it."

Pete Abraham, Boston Globe, via Twitter: "To clarify. Farrell knew players were trying to steal signs. He did not know there were devices being used. 'I would have shut that down.'"
*
*        *
Toronto Starter Marco Estrada on their 19-inning game vs BoSox: ‘"I don’t think I’ve ever played in a 19-inning game, and I didn’t even have to play in the whole game. I feel bad for the guys that were out there for the entire game."
*
*        *
Ray Lewis on the Ravens not signing Kaepernick: "His girl [Diab] goes out and put out this racist gesture and doesn't know we are in the back office about to try to get this guy signed. Steve Bisciotti [Ravens majority owner] has said it himself: 'How can you crucify Ray Lewis when Ray Lewis is the one calling for Colin Kaepernick?'"
Help keep me going...
Help keep me G R O W I N G.