Thursday, October 1, 2015

Breaking in A New Corn Cob & Black Cavendish Lowdown + Review

Word on the street is Corn Cobs don't need "broken in." Well, once upon a time, word on the street was I scored with Andr*a Buon*fede. Neither of these is true. To my credit, however, I only am responsible for one a' them.

Breaking in A Corn Cob Pipe:
Firstly, let me clarify what I mean when I say Corn Cob. I mean Missouri Meerschaum. Period. They are the Rolls Royce of Corncobs, are readily available, and won't bust even my stringiest of shoestrings budget at under fifteen bucks a pop for just about any of their models. There is simply no good reason to grab at anything other than an MM.

The model I'm looking at breaking in as I type is the Country Gentleman. The tobacco employed is a Black Cavendish head shop house blend. Both having been procured in one fail swoop at my local B&M. <twenny bucks, out the door.

For those too lazy to click on the link above, here are the specifications at a glance--

Length (straight): 6 in/152.4 mm
Bowl height: 2.25 in/57.2 mm
Chamber diameter: .75 in/19.05 mm
Chamber depth: 1.5 in/38.1 mm

I shall now digress. 

Here, have a flourish and read on to learn about the afore-promised
Breaking in A Corn Cob Pipe:
First off, in the world of Briar, it's all about building cake. In the world of Corn Cob -- it is quite the opposite. You want to avoid that build-up. After each smoke, go at the bowl with a stiff pipe cleaner. This will maintain the bowl's breathability, and therefore its cool smoking pleasure. Oh, that is good.

Second, your first, say, three (3) bowls are NOT to be trusted insofar as flavor notes. They will be tinged with corn and wood. This means you are doing it right. Especially at the heel of the first bowl -- smoke down past that taste. You are smoking off the wooden shank that extends into the bowl. Some opt to remove it with a knife and treat with pipe mud prior to first smoke, but if you get the same effect by merely smoking -- by all means, I say smoke.

(Pipe Mud is a mixture of cigar ash and spit. If you remain desirous of that tactic.)

Many MMs come with a pipe filter. Immediately discard said pipe filter.

Some MMs use Plaster-of-Paris and/or a lacquer to finish their non-natural offerings, and a black stain on a few models -- like my new Country Gent. If any of this becomes a bother in any way, simply and lightly sand out the bowl. Natural alternatives include the Pride or Eaton, or the new Natural Freehand. My next pipe is either going to be an MM hardwood model, or a Freehand.

That really is all ya need to know, gentlepersons, about breaking in a Corn Cob.
Fine, but
What is Black Cavendish?:

Glad ya asked.

There are three main types (varietal families) of pipe tobacco:
* Virginia
* Burley
* Turkish Oriental
There are three popular ways of processing these types of tobacco:
* Cavendish
* Perique
* Latakia
Therefore, we have pinpointed Cavendish on the tobacco map.

Cavendish History:
In the late 16th century, Sir Thomas Cavendish, while on expedition to Virginia, Noted that dipping tobacco leaves in sugar provided for a milder and more mellow smoketh.

Cavendish Method:
Cavendish can be produced from any variety of tobacco -- but is normally made from its original flue-cured Virginia, or an air-cured Burley.

After that initial curing, a steaming process which includes sugar and flavoring agents. After steaming, the tobacco is stored under pressure for anywhere between a few days to several weeks. Additionally, casings may be added at any time along the process. Sometimes after, as well.

The particular color of Cavendish depends upon the flavorings employed. Flavorings nowadays typically include, but are not limited to: cherry, chocolate, coconut, strawberry, bourbon, walnut, rum, et cetera, etc.
This particular blend:
(A rather 1/2-assed review)

Black Cavendish
(GJ's Smoke Shop)
I see VA and some Burley (maybe)
Ribbon cut and crumbly --
Moisture: Let it dry a half hour+

Tin Note:
(Zip-lock baggie note)
Very cherry, wet and heavy. Some floral notes, some vanilla.
Smells a bit like cheap incense.

Room Note:
Voluminous but not overly odoriffic. Scents of fruit and nuts and a dark muted tobacco. Perhaps a well drink bourbon splashing. Not unkind. Not overly clingy.

Char:
12:24pm
Tobacco wishes to turn to dust upon handling, yet still retains too much moisture for my liking. It is said that Baltimore, ironically dubbed Charm City, sports the efficiency of the South and charm of the North.

That.

Still, the char catches well and continues on, not immediately needing a re-light. I'm imagining, if this follows suit with my previous three bowls, I'll run off the char a good 2/3 down. I chalk much of that up to the pipe, however.

[To be clear, I am using the MM Country Gentleman as listed above.]

Char is burnt coffee and cheap booze of some sort. A tad of walnut adds to the bite of burnt coffee (NOT tongue bite). Unfortunately, there is no counter-balance as of yet.

Bowl:
Mellows. Allows an almost red fruitiness in, but a synthetic one...candied and nondescript. Smoke is very cool, medium to full output.

Some floral qualities now and they appear on the back of a molasses. Mouthfeel is quite light. Finish is booze and vanilla with undertones of wet soil and hardwood. A retro-hale adds to the dampness. Too, introduces a salty bit that drops to my palate surprisingly dryly and loamy.

Mild to medium body. Medium flavor. Mild strength.

Banana/coconut pina colada. The soil drys and as it does becomes a bit sandy. A cherry appears from the vanilla draw portion which now grows from the aforemenrtioned floral notes. It stays 1/3 way through the finish.

Finish is now that bourbon with a note of salt and some dried red fruit in the distance. It's on medium - long length and you might want to take another pull before the end lives on as only a synthetic born aftertaste that continues to warm on the palate.

Right at 2/3 I need a relight and a tamping. I don't over-tamp because a) I never do, and 2) I don't want to jam moist tobacco into the heel.

Dollar Store pina colado mix (because it's the first of the month somewhere) with an ebb and flow of synthetic cherry. Some leather notes now. Not entirely unpleasant, although I tease it somewhat. I kid because I love. I kid because I like? I definitely don't hate...

Moving on.

Could use a truer more inherent sweetness at the beginning while the sour notes hang about. Could use a fuller body throughout -- on the back of a darker more mature tobacco note. Serviceable, nonetheless.

Would I buy a tin? I'd but an ounce once in a while. I'd smoke it as not the focal point of my doings -- ie: yard work or puzzling out a puzzle.

I get my first true ode to Burley in a not wholly pleasant way, as the room note's wake is a bit remindful of cigarette smoke.

Heel:
I relight here, and might not bother if not for still breaking in my new MM.
Notes:
Feh!
1:04pm
One would be correct in expecting longer from a bowl this size.

I shied away from "bite" as in tongue earlier, but this blend does seem to want to do both. Especially at the final third. I feel like all of what I admire Corn Cob pipes for, saved this from being an all-round lousy affair.

Final Grade: D

Thanks for reading, gentlepersons. This was a long one, go take a nice stroll.