Sunday, August 16, 2015

Estilo Cubano - Cigar Review

Prologue:
5:43pm

I was walking my mini dachshund Ruby Vondella around the block. As too was a neighbor walking their Great Dane around the block. No matter which way I tried to evade -- the big dumb beast and his dog would follow. I was cornered on the corner and ducked into a bike path, looking over my shoulder to wish them a very fine day.

I looked down and there it was. A five dollar bill. 

My first thought was to spend it on scratch-offs, then I thought about

The Cigar:
Estilo Cubano
Ventura Cigar Co.
Nicaraguan Viso Habano wrapper
Honduran Seco Habano binder
Ligero Habano Blend via Costa Rica & Nicaragua filler
Rabo de Cochino Pigtail head
Pre-light:
Fairly visible seams. Quite dark, natch. Oily and toothy to the feel. Packed very firm and evenly. Smells of dark chocolate with a back of sweet spices. Deep, but not very, tobacco.

I lop off the Piggie with my trusty Schrade Old Timer Mighty Mite. That’s about all you’ve gotta do, to the uninitiated. Perhaps, too, poke a hole through the head. A cold pull is sweet warm spice and moderately dark chocolate. I am reminded that cinnamon and chocolate are a traditional Mexican pairing -- one of which I find no complaint in.

The pull is sweet and spicy and chocolate and indicative of an upper medium strength.

Light:
The foot toasts very willingly but not as an inferno. First warm pull is a dark tobacco. There is a struggle for it to get going, there is a tight draw that does not allow an abundance of smoke immediately through. There is a certain wispiness with flinty and peaty notes, neither of which I care for. An airy saltiness. I taste neither chocolate nor cinnamon in any meaningful way and am somewhat nonplussed.

I don’t fully feel as we’ve entered the

1/3:
But the amount of pulls I’ve taken declare we indeed have.

I go looking in the retro-hale and find a simplistic black pepper. If you’re keeping score at home, we have a not enough tobacco and a black pepper bite -- but a somewhat toothless one, at that. This stogie just does not want to get going thus far.

Today’s word is “wispy.” There is barely taste enough for me to discuss, and I know my stuff, good sirs. Not just anyone can have a blog, you know.
The ash packs on well, but exhibits more flaky edges than Nathan Lane in a modestly subdued suit.

Thus far, I missed my guess, as I’d now rate this cigar a wimpy medium. A brunch offering. As such, I’d pair it only with coffee -- whatever ya got. Cream and sugar. Please do not get feces-faced at brunch, my dear gentlepersons.

Where is the Nicaraguan? Where is the Habano? I absentmindedly flick the ash into my mint plant at about an inch of flakiness yet oiliness.

At the end of the first third, a retro-hale gives a bit of red pepper and cinnamon. The smoke output is improving, but not into my smoke-hole. The air around me is a sharp almost mechanical spice that is sweet only due to not being sour. Or is it sour due to not being sweet?

A tin bite is left on my palate alongside not enough of any of the aforementioned flavor or nose notes.

2/3:
This is so peculiar. Too, it looks enough like a pretzel left too long in the oven -- I fire up The Peculiar Pretzelmen. It works, because there is not enough cigar to pair with either poorly, or well.

At five bucks from my own pocket -- feh. Double feh, that I had to hoof it a mile each way to the cigar shop. There is no hint at this developing into much more and only the dark cabaret on my free Pandora account can save me now.

“Who’s that knocking at the door?” Ask The Peculiar Pretzelmen.
“Not Sally.” I say, “she was born with no arms, poor thing.”

Final Grade: Incomplete (crappola construction)
There it sits in my tray.

[I am simply glad that first fleuron worked. Attempting two was just greedy.
Please imagine Blogger allowed me that greediness once more HERE.]

Epilogue:

Sometime from now --

Okay, the burn was even. When it wasn’t it was self-correcting. I simply did not want to leave you with as bad a taste in your yap as I have currently still lingering in my own.

I had hoped the fiver was from the wallet of the Great Dane owner's wallet. Now, I fear it was. I had this coming! I had incited the Evil Eye! I have no one to blame but ... I'll find someone.

"Kein ayin hara."  I say and spit thrice. The bad taste remains...