Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Resting Cigars: A Kaplowitz Media. Quick-Take

Resting Cigars: A Kaplowitz Media. Quick-Take

Days became weeks then weeks became months. I've been tracking par for the course recommendations regarding resting cigars upon procurement for some time now, and the times seemingly have got longer over said time. To be clear, the idea of resting cigars prior to smoking is to let them acclimate to the new environs of your humidor after leaving a retail space and/or traveling to your door.

The theory behind this is to allow the RH to settle and thus experience fewer draw and burn issues. Maybe even enhanced flavors (hopefully on account of the performance stuff and not because the belief is that the leaf gets yummier). Like a lot of other ideas, this one gets overdone. The only time a lengthy adjustment is needed is when a problem is indicated.

I'll tell you what I do. I smoke cigars. I smoke them immediately after traveling to a retailer and leaving with them. I also smoke them immediately after receiving them via post if they arrive in a zippie with humidification or in a humidified pack. If they show up sans being kept humidified, I allow them to rest roughly the amount of days of their journey. If the journey passed through severe weather, I'll allow two days for each trip day... tops.

[The truth is cigars can live through being un/under-humidified for a few days. Even over-humidification, at least short-term, is not much of a problem. I'll do a Quick-Take on dry-boxing and other ways to deal with that sometime soonish.]

Again, that's just how I roll, and I've not experienced any catastrophic fallouts yet--nor have I seen any noteworthy improvement in longer resting spells. There might be some slight improvement if you rest for months but that would be chalked up to beginning the aging process if anything, and I doubt it would be of much benefit much shy of a year.

The most important settling one might do is to settle into a brick & mortar shop or a shopping experience that allows you to receive smokes ready to be smoked.

::: very ::: 

If you liked this, maybe think of grabbing a copy of my chapbook "How to Enjoy a Cigar." You can find out more at BUY MY BOOK