Friday, January 27, 2023

A Pair of Kaplowitz Media. Teasers (I, Diarist? and The Whale)

A Pair of Kaplowitz Media. Teasers (I, Diarist? and The Whale)

"New articles publish every Monday through Friday sans US Federal Holidays and the last two weeks of February." A word, if I may, regarding those last two weeks of February. In the past, I have done a terrible job of being on hiatus therein. This year, I have decided to embrace my ineptitude at staying away. But why do I try to at least lay low during that time?

For reasons. Three (3) of them to be exact. First, burn-out. Believe it or not, I don't always want to generate new content, particularly of the self-imposed deadline scheduled variety. Everyone needs a vacation. Then, there's the fact a couple of note-worthy days fall within that span of time; two birthdays. My own and my son Henry's. I'm the one of the two still engaged in this mortal coil. All told, it's a good time for a break.

Also, all told and as mentioned, breaks ain't my thing. Nothing stresses me out quite like attempting to de-stress. So during this scheduled hiatus, I will instead be doing a different sort of thing--not even trying. Steering into the skid. (Dad always said there was a lot of quit in me, and he was quite proud of that.) From the 14th to the 28th of February, I will be entering daily diary entries of varying albeit assuredly short lengths.

I would imagine I'll be smoking cigars and/or reading and I'd further imagine that these small bits will include those small bits. Maybe in a more personal and for certain in a less formatted manner. Definitely less detailed. The startling truth of the matter is that in real life, whatever that is, I also do pursue those interests. Other interests, too. You'll see. This is a teaser and not a spoiler, after all.

The second teaser or announcement I wanted to share is a bit vaguer because I've yet to fully flesh it out and visualize it in my mind. I can say that it will be an audio endeavor and will involve Moby-Dick. The great American novel from 1851 and Herman Melville. Somehow I've never read it. I have read Melville, mind you. Enough to recognize (pre) Holmesian manic depressive traits in Bartleby and some other stray thoughts. Just never Moby-Dick. Never his The Book.

I understand it's either incoherent blathering, the American bible, or any or many points 'tween those two and depending upon whose word you take. Is it worthless or priceless? (You'd think those two words would carry the same meaning.) I also understand Melville died in obscurity as every great writer really should have the decency to do. That's neither here nor there, though. Somewhere, I recently noted the difference between reviewing stories and stogies in podcast form.

I said something to the effect that when I review a story in that medium it's always in retrospect and when I do the same with a smoke, it's always in real-time. 'What if I were to review a novel in said real-time?' That's what I asked myself and I have no good answer but I do think my own general advice of "Fuck around and find out" is solid. So I will. Particulars will follow and the shindig should kick-off shortly. Please don't look for a retrospective audio cigar review. I reckon. There is just no dare there.

Of advice, I understand a sage example of such is to never ask a question not knowing its answer. I just don't believe that extends to questions you ask yourself of yourself. In short, I'm asking myself two questions in the form of these two project announcements. Can I be a diarist? Can I read and review Moby-Dick at the same time? I suppose we'll all find out the answers together--well, me first, then almost immediately afterward you.

Perhaps I should apologize in advance. But only if you thank me in advance, and we agree to soon see which of us retracts our respective statements.

::: very :::