Monday, October 19, 2015

Mailbag Monday for 10.18.15

Happy Monday, gentlepersons! Here's yer Mailbag answerings:
"I have some cigars in metal tubes. Do I need to put them in my humidor."

Tubos. The metal (aluminum) tube is tasked with the sole job of securing the cigar against physical damages. It is not designed to act as a humidor. I feel this begs the question now: "do I leave them in their tube, in the humidor?" I wouldn't, because I don't even leave the cellophane on my cigars. You might want to take it out, though, come to think of it -- because while leaving it in and taking it out are both OK, I believe only Davidoff tubos are slit to allow a more proper airflow.

Remove stick from tubo, keep tubo handyo in case of wishing to transport. Stick goes in humi, to be crystal.
"I like big flavor and small strength. Recommendations?"

Flava Flav? Oliva never disappoints, Serie G and V. CAO Brazilia, Arturo Fuente Hemmingway and Opus X, Illusione Epernay, Patel goes there on occasion but I never recommend you going there. 

It strikes me there ain't an abundance of value sticks in my off-the-cuff list. Let me know privately, if I should think harder. 
"Pipes leave me unsatisfied. I was thinking of trying cigar blends in my CC. Thoughts?"

Just one idea, smoke a cigar. You see, the experiences of smoking a pipe and smoking a cigar are so vastly different that an attempt to 'meet in the middle' is destined to fail in every way imaginable in a worst of both worlds scenario. Have a cigar when you want a cigar, pack a bowl when you want a pipe. Each have much to offer. Scratch yer itch accordingly.

If you must dabble in cigar blend pipe tobacco, I'd recommend Hearth and Home Stogie. The Burley and Perique are blended well enough to offer a reasonable facsimile of a cigar, not to mention the inclusion of Maduro leaf. Again and humsoever, a cigar remains a far greater facsimile of a cigar.

Congrats on the CC (corn cob) BTW (by the way). Why not make yer next a KAPLOWITZ? Gather yer aplomb with a Kaplowitz.
"Do you really put your cigar ash in your rose garden?"

How brilliantly tenuously cigar-related. Bravo and yes. As do I add my coffee grounds and tea bag guts to the mix. It does wonders for maintaining soil balance, but above all else -- roses have a tremendous sense of poetry.

Quick note: I don't know the gardening particulars of aromatic pipe tobacco additions to soil -- so I don't add that to the mix.
Send yer queries:

Thanks, as always, for your questions and your readings. Have a great week, and don't dare be a stranger.