Sunday, October 11, 2015

Ultimate Corn Cob Pipes by R. Santia Pipes - Popeye Model - Tobacco Pipe Review

Please feel abundantly invited to peruse my interview with Mr. Santia HERE. Thank you.
For my 'troubles,' which I assure you all were no troubles at all, and in fact were pleasures, Mr. Santia kindly gifted me an offering of his Popeye model Ultimate Corn Cob. Made from a Missouri Meershaum factory model with a hard wood bottom inserted into the bowl's bottom, and a polished bamboo shank -- both seamlessly installed. But I do get ahead of myself.

In the interest of fully relating to you, gentlepersons, my experience in receiving this model, let us backtrack a tad. After Mr. Santia handcrafted this pipe for me and sent it my way (which he did so in a very quick, courteous, and professional manner) it arrived with:
  • Two apparently handmade satchels -- one small, one large enough for the pipe itself. (Both of a quality high enough to make me think of using one to replace my pleather thrift shop change purse.)
  • A couple of golf tees emblazoned with his web addy on their plain shellacked wood. (Is "shellacked" still a word? lol)
  • A couple of nice quality and professional business cards.
In short, it did not make me feel as though I was on the receiving end of a freebie. It was much more like a very nice gift.

The unfinished bowl and lengthy shank make for a very cool smoke. The draw is perfect and without effort, even as I purposefully somewhat over-pack due to preferring a touch of resistance.

I must say I had thoughts in the deep dark recesses of my mind, that this was going to be somewhat of a novelty smoker. It is most assuredly not.
I yam what I yam.
What it IS, is a high-quality daily smoker that puts an enormous smile on my mug and smooth, full draws of tobacco in my smoke-hole. In short, it's one of my very favorite pipes.
My experience with Mr. Santia via sampling both his wares and his personality through our interview -- has led me to want to put my money where my smoke-hole is, and buy another Ultimate Corn Cob from the fella. But which to choose? I mean they are all quite lovely.

I allowed my hubris to decide, natch. 

Those who know me know that I am both prone to flatulence, and to doing business with only those of impeccable character. I approached Mr. Santia with the ideation of a KAPLOWITZ model. He agreed.
The KAPLOWITZ
The KAPLOWITZ has a Briar bottomed bowl and bamboo shank (gentleperson's choice of vulcanite or acrylic/lucite stem). You may ask Mr. Santia for further details. When you do, please come away from that experience having purchased at least one of his finely crafted offerings. Even if it is not the KAPLOWITZ.

Please Visit Mr. Santia's website shoppe HERE.