Friday, October 30, 2015

#FoodieFriday for 10.30.15 - Egg in a Basket

"Hey, bring me back a piece of burnt toast and a rotten egg."
- Curly Howard in Three Sappy People (1939)
[Bud Jamison is in that Three Stooges short!]

Seeing as I have to report for Jury Duty "prior to 8:30am," tomorrow morning -- I figured we'd keep it short with a simple recipe. Thanks for reading and have a great week, gentlepersons! Wish me luck in hangin' 'em high!

Oh, the recipe.

Eye poke Curly and take his:
1 Large egg (not rotten)
1 slice (Unburnt) Texas, thick-sliced bread, or 1/2 bagel

& add in yer own:
PAM cooking spray
Kosher salt to taste
Hot sauce (optional)

You'll also require:
Fry pan
Spatula
Modus Operandi

  1. Curl, not fold (you'll crack it) the slice of un-toasted bread in half, take a bite out of its center.
  2. Uncurl slice of bread to see you've gnawed a circular-like hole in its center.
  3. Spray PAM into fry pan and heat to medium on your stove.
  4. Place bread in center of fry pan.
  5. Crack egg into the whole you've gnawed, ya filthy animal.

Here's the deal, gentlepersons, you are now basically fry-poaching an egg.

That said, go on to cook the thing to your jiggly-or-not favored consistency. I prefer a totally not runny egg, and to get the effect, I squish with the spatula. If you like it runny -- don't do that. Flip, flip again, and yer done. All points in-between are dandy. If you want a really runny egg, toast bread on one side, flip, then add egg. Gross.

PRO TIP: Try this underneath my Milk Toast 'sauce.'

A Note on Eggs
Despite my Jewy surname, I am not a healthcare professional. However, I do know eggs to be a cheap form of good protein and low-coloric offerings.

While I can't say with any soitenty what Curly had in mind, I can say that a good ol' Egg in a Basket is nothing new to Hollywood.

They are AKA Guy Kibbee Eggs, as they made an on-screen appearance in 1935's Mary Jane's Pa, as prepared by -- you guessed it -- one Guy Kibbee.

Betty Grable has too lent her name and fame to this dish upon cooking it up in Moon Over Miami (1941). The script refers to them as Gashouse Eggs, perhaps my favorite of their many monikers.

They also appear in a Friends episode, but I can't stomach that show.

For you political radicals out there, you may recognize them by "Eggy in the Basket" as labeled by Stephen Fry's character in 2005's V for Vendetta. A film I found nearly as unsettling as the lack of ethnicity in the New York City which Friends occupied.

To fancy up this tasty dish, carefully create a hole by means of an up-turned glass, toast the round bit of dough in the frypan, then serve the Egg in a Basket with its 'hat' on, gentleperson.

I ate mine with a can of navy beans drizzled liberally with hot sauce. I also used my usual too much kosher salt over top.

Now if you'll be so kind as to allow me my leave, I need to go find my tie for tomorrow's "prior to 8:30am" festivities.
Good.
NOW, have yerselves a fine week!
Boney appetite!!!