Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Socks & Shoes, Shoes & Socks | Hiatus Diary Entry 6/10

Socks & Shoes, Shoes & Socks | Hiatus Diary Entry 6/10

2/21/2023

Five days ago I had a fleeting thought of how terrible it would be if my favorite pair of cabin socks sprung a leak, caught a hole in the toe. Four days ago it happened to the right foot. Three days ago it happened to the left. Yesterday I threw out the pair. Today I'm wondering if it was a premonition or a slight draft under my toenails that alerted my subconscious. President Lincoln reportedly dreamt of his own death (whilst still alive, of course).

With President's Day just barely in the rearview, that seems an apt thing to note. Also to note, I don't like shopping and I don't like buying things for myself and also I don't like having too many things. I remember the first pair of shoes I bought that my kid Henry would never see me in. A sweet pair of all-black New Balance mall-walkers. They were nice but then suddenly collapsed into structureless throw pillows after only some daily-use number of years.

My kid Lewis, I tell him to get his socks and shoes on when it's time to go. Most likely because I'm instructing him via order of operation. If I were instead noticing a thing about the footwear he was wearing I'd reference (I'd imagine) his shoes and socks because that's the order in which I see them. This is a phenomenon that I feel runs deceptively deep and later today I think I'll give it more thought. That's right, I'm at the super bored portion of my hiatus.

Kaplowitz Media. will return to its regular programming on March 1. 2023.

SMOKING: Cavendish in 'disreputable' clay pipe
READING: O Henry

::: very :::