Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Damn Yankees Best Twins: An AL Wild-card Retrospective

Gentlepersons, baseball's post-season hath begun. And it begun'd with the junior circuit's wild-card game twixt, in accordance with this nigh sure to be truncated posting's title, the Damn Yankees and Minnesota Twins. Truncated, for 'tis past my bed-time as I set up now, in front a' my Chromebook.

Right away, it was apparent that neither starter had it in him to rise to this particular Autumnal occasion. Rookie Damn Yankee Luis Severino yielded 3 first-stanza tallies, beginning with a lead-off blast by Brian Dozier and a follow-up four-bagger by Eddie Rosario. The young potential ace's day was done sans making it outta the opening-inning. I saw that one a-comin'.

What I didn't see a-comin' was Ervin Santana, vet tho he be, doing no better in surrendering right back them three runs in the inning's bottom-half. In his second and last stanza of labor, he surrendered the lead. The game didn't get a lot, if any, smoother in its unfurling. It also exhibited a rather low IQ, as the majority of runs scored came via long-ball. Including the eventual clincher off the bat of Aaron "Dave Kingman" Judge, which is really and truly just the height of stupidity. You do NOT let that fella kill ya.
"Dirty" Sanchez taking a tip to his 'tip' is my greatest guilty pleasure of these nascent playoffs thus-far. Watching David Robertson's reaction: a close second. Then the Damn Yankees went on to win 8-4. More happened twixt, soitenly. I had a granola bar, re-upped my Reader's Digest subscription, and picked up my step-kid from band practice. I also flirted with the idea of sewing-up the split side-seam in my old sweatpants. Oh, and much too much low-brow baseball.

The WINdians ain't shaking in their moccasins nor cleats. The Damn Yankees have an excellent bullpen in Chad Green, David Robertson, and Tommy Kahnle. All done good tonight -- but by the time you bring them in against Cleveland, all will hath been lost. True, the top of the Damn Yankees order looked good, but lettuce look at what they looked good against -- and now toward what they'll face in the next round.

By the by, I made one a' them Twitter Moments wherein I 'live-tweeted' during the game. CHECK IT OUT, gentlepersons. A real hoot, and in the same way this game may've been taken as one -- unrefined and sloppily done. I shall get betterer.

IN ADDITION:
"MLB Playoffs Predictions" Kaplowitz Radio: October 4, 2017