Friday, July 21, 2017

Cigar Reviewing & Grading FAQ

After sitting on a stock-pile of queries for going on two years now, I've decided to cobble together publicly what I've already answered many-a-time privately. This FAQ shall be updated HERE as more trickle in. The questions herein are shortened to get to the meat of the thing.
How do your letter grades correspond to numerical values?
This was asked before I begun including the following key in each review posted:
A 90-100 B 80-89 C 70-79 D 60-69 F 0-59
Lettuce look at B, and then take that to cover the other letter grades, shall we? B on-the-nose is 85. Too, so is 84 and 86. 86 to 8 is a B+, and 80-84 is a B-. There-a-bouts. Mileage varies. If I wanted a direct numerical correlation, I'd a' used numbers. Why do I not use numbers? Because I don't.

Why don't you use a number style of grading?
As stated above, because I don't. I'll 'splain just this one more again: whenst I set out reviewing cigars, I was keenly aware I was not, say, Cigar Aficionado. I could not fathom that number gatherers would want my take alongside CA, Cigar Journal, Cigar Snob, etc. To be clear, I do not know if them last two employ numbers. I do not read them. Humsoever, you get the gist.

How much rest off the truck do you allow a sample prior to review?
At the very least, unless noted in the write-up, a week. Most of what I receive has spent upwards of that time in transit, so it feels about right. My local B&M offerings are an immediate go; or I would find another B&M.

How many cigars do you review per day?
One. In the beginning, more than one, but that was nigh a couple years ago. At times I'll do a Redux on a second offering that day, but only on a fuller blend and only on a clean palate. How clean? Clean 'nuff to eat off of.

Why don't you always review in thirds?
18) not every cigar operates thatta way,
3) I don't like following other people's formats.
A note on formats: I do use 'em. Word and syllable counts, meter, rhyme schemes, etc. I simply bury them in drab prose. Ever get something I wrote stuck in yer head? That.

Do you take price into account in your final grade?
Not the grade per se, but I do mention MSRP if it bears mention. Say if a stick is worth it or not. Say if a stick is a splendid value. Prices are changeable, and I write for all eternity.

Do you eat or drink while reviewing?
No. On the rarest of occasions I do, I say-so.

What do you mean by "complex?"
There are two ways a cigar exhibits complexities:
1) notes are deeply nuanced and them notes dance in their under-bellies,
2) transitions

How do you calculate balance?
Intensity levels of flavor/body/strength should be on-par or meaningfully close, and all the basic tastes should be met: sweetness, sourness, saltiness, bitterness, and umami. Also piquancy, which is not a basic flavor since the brain is sent those signals via a different method.

In your reviews, you sometimes only refer to strength. What does that mean?
Over-all "intensity." A mean of flavors/body/strength.

Why don't you mention any aging on the cigars you review?
I do if it bears mentioning.

Why do you employ different review styles?
Boredom. Artistry.

What cutter(s) and lighter(s) do you use?
In a review, I use a nice cutter I won't promote here because they do not pay me to do-so. I light with wooden matches or the occasional Bic, as I smoke out-side and wind is oft a female canine. I used to swear by D'Jeep, but their quality hath sadly diminished. As an aside, I bite or pinch on my own time.

How far down do you smoke during a review?
I stop reviewing at the band, or traditional band-point. Then, I tooth-pick the heck outta it, if warranted.

Do you note the retro-hale?
Yes, if notable. Please read my reviews.

Why don't you use more images or at least ones in color?
Schtick.

Do you review Cubans?
No. I do not judge peoples.
Nor do I review Cuban cigars. If /when they become as readily available as other country's offerings, I shall.