Monday, March 13, 2017

Deontay Wilder vs Anthony Joshua: An American Popularity Contest

B"H
Firstly, lettuce not understate the validity of popularity contests. Given their sway in our current political landscape which hath Oprah saying "why not?" and too, said sway in gate and PPV numbers... America again in particular... well, I feel I've pleaded popularity's case well 'nuff, gentlepersons.

But can Mr. Anthony Joshua be "bigger" in America than America's own Mr. Deontay Wilder? I asked myself this, and here's what I thunk in response. I thunk so, just mayhaps not in Alabama -- wherest Wilder is far bigger than in the big ol' USofA as a whole. I hear he has or is getting a statue there. Granted, the road to Prom King ain't a race, but current locale on the map doth matter some. Meaning that, right now, as Joshua prepares to fight Mr. Wladimir Klitschko for the Heavyweight crown -- he is more popular in the whole wide world, than is Wilder. America is, as we know, in the world. (Well, maybe not California; but a get the gist.) Though the aforementioned Alabama is in America...

Alabama, Alabama, Alabama aside -- as I hope Wilder's next fight wilt do; America and the world are riveted to the April 29th IBF and WBA title showdown at Wembley Stadium twixt Dr. and Mr. Klitschko and Joshua, respectively. If Joshua wins, he becomes bigger EVERYWHERE. Will he win? I think Klitschko is very smart to fight him now; and woulda been even smarter to fight him a bit ago... as I feel the Brit is still a work in progress. Too, I feel whomever wins, I'll be surprised a tick. Or more precisely, whomever loses. Anthony Joshua should not be losing now, and Wladimir Klitschko should not be taking fights he might lose now. Muscles are not always a pugilist's pal, I will say. If a clingy Wlad were to take an already weighty Anthony into deep waters -- gentlepersons -- rocks don't float.

Alabama, Alabama, Alabama. Birmingham's Legacy Arena. London's Wembley Stadium, I'd hazard a guess, is more popular a site in American minds than the Legacy Arena. Seems a different level, entirely and daresay. "The Bronze Bomber" Deontay Wilder just recently fought on free TV. I know, because I could afford to see it. A noble thing and a good thing all told, to have done-so. Currently, HBO and Showtime are tripping over one-another for the rights to Joshua's go with the good Doctor. HBO and Showtime are American entities. Perhaps ya heard a' them.

There is one way in which Wilder trumps Joshua in American minds and does-so unequivocally -- that is if Anthony Joshua beats Wladimir K. Americans will be bombastic then, in our support of our Alabaman son. Although, he'd only be more popular, in a way and in part, thanks to Anthony Joshua himself. Whom wins thatta one? Joshua, and in doing so adds the WBO strap to his unified resume. Why? Because Deontay ain't getting better... and is no longer a work in progress. So we end here in the future after touching in the past as to the present. It'd be nice to see a good guy get a good payday, 'fore riding off into the bronzing southern sun. I bet he buys a wind farm. Yes, that's a windmill joke. I feel terrible about it.
Look for me on Facebook:
Group: Gentlepersons
Page: Have you Kaplowitz’d to-day?

Find out more about Akordyan Tabik.

Please visit www.CigarsCity.com
Great smokes. Great prices. Great customer service.
What’s not to like?

If you enjoyed this post, please consider sharing it via the buttons below.
Sharing is a quick, easy, and free way to help me grow my audience.

If you’ve enjoyed a buncha these posts, please consider donating.
PayPal: paypal.me/Kaplowitz
L'shalom