Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Ammo Can Cigar Humidor - Cigars & Lifestyle by Kaplowitz

"Why not Kaplowitz?"


September is K/M's month-long 3rd Aniversario Celebracionne!
Secure a 4th by donating a few bucks to www.paypal.me/Kaplowitz.

Each & every Wednesday K/M will bring you a column to-do with cigars &/or the cigar lifestyle. (penned by Kap, natch.) Perhaps you can enjoy it while smoking something good, Gentlepersons. Tho that ain't mandated. Smoke something bad if ya like. See if I care. I begin...

It's called an ammo "can," not an ammo "can't." Semper-fi! Oora!!! THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. Me, I didn't serve. Me, I don't much love the whole war ideal. Me though, I do-so love the look of Army surplus stuffs. Spartan, utilitarian, sans pretense, and green, not like pictured below in B&W.

There are many like it, but this one is mine.

The story goes:

My special lady friend and I went to Harbor Freight. Her idea. I am confused by socket wrenches on up. I also have a one-track (tops) mind & was aware I needed a new humidor because of #blessed. They do have some cool stuff there and I do like to look at cool stuff which I don't feel compelled to purchase because of #cheapJew. So I was having a fine time. Then, tho -- better time -- we spotted a shelf of Ammo Cans. OK... I spotted a shelf of ammo cans. My special lady friend, already embarrassed by me running around the store with one of those lazy/fat people extension grabber claw things, had by this point left me on/to my own accord.

I did this thing to check how tight the seal is on a humi, broski. You can do it, too. I blew the dust off my velcro wallet and slid out a single. I then placed the bill tween lid and case at all sides where it closes. It grabbed onto that thing tighter than a nun's cunt in mid-winter when the Pope is visiting. Secure. That is to say it sealed securely. Good.


The thing is now holding, along with some Boveda 72s, the equivalent easily of I'd say a 50-65ct humi, broski. Up to Robusto fits width-ways and beyond that, I lay 'em length-wise. It's like Tetris. Or Jenga. Depending on if ya grew up in the '90s regularly, or in an Amish community, respectively.

Now the thought of an Ammo Can Humi (broski) is nothing new, nor did I invent it. As a matter of fact, I stumbled upon a site which sells kits to make a humidor from an ammo can. That is a fucking rip off. They sell ya the can and Spanish cedar and felt cushioning for the underneath so as not to scratch what you place it on. We'll leave their price-point as "pricey." If you're a cigar smoker, you come across Spanish cedar. Ask yer B&M if ya gotta, but it just kinda happens you have some. As to the felt, if a thing requires purchasing fabric and hot glue gun... mi el paso, amigo.

I've been a couple weeks moved into the can now and all goes s'well. Form & function: primo. All for $15 (not including Boveda). Ya can't beat that. Especially me, who don't much like wood humidors because I really only wanna taste cedar notes if they're inherent to the stick at hand. So it beats the 60 or-so dollars I'd spend on a 50ct. or-so plastic travel box. BTW, I may use some cushioned dividers I have laying around from those to line my can. Dunno. I really don't so much "travel."

Did I say 72 Boveda? Yeah, because the environment they generally create falls a couple ticks shy of the number printed on them. 70 is good, particularly for sticks I have lined up to smoke shortly. Aging? Well, that's an entire another ball of wax but yeah -- 69s for that insofar as Boveda-speak.

Boveda is not a sponsor of Kaplowitz Media, nor are ammo cans.


I cobbled together this column as I partook in a DAV Aristocrat offering. s/o to www.DAVcigars.com, this month's sponsor over at the Kaplowitz Media Group. (Link below in signature.)

Report a typo, win a No-prize.

Follow @KaplowitzMedia on Twitter
Like Kaplowitz Media on Facebook HERE
& join the Kaplowitz Media Group HERE

79. Kaplowitz Radio Monday