Tuesday, May 30, 2017

El Baton - Cigar Review

JC Newman
El Baton Robusto 5 x 54

WRAPPER: Nicaraguan Corojo
BINDER: Nicaraguan
FILLER: Nicaraguan

ORIGIN: Nicaragua
STRENGTH: Medium-full
MANUFACTURER NOTES:
"The full bodied, Nicaraguan blend cigar is a spicy addition to the J.C. Newman Cigar Company. El Baton cigars are hand rolled in in Nicaruagua [sic] using only the best Nicaraguan grown tobacco leaves. Originally released as a nickel cigar in 1914, its return has been met with rave reviews, receiving a high score of 91 on Cigar Aficionados rating scale. El Baton cigars are grown in the most fertile areas of Nicaragua, providing for a smooth, hearty smoke with a little spice. The Nicaraguan tobaccos exude hints of oak wood and black pepper. A Nicaraguan Corojo wrapper completes the spicy mix." - www.JCNewmanOnline.com
CIGAR AFICIONADO NOTES: 
"Covered in a dark wrapper, this cigar smokes evenly, offering bold and meaty flavors and some pepper notes underscored by hints of orange peel." From www.CigarAficionado.com along with a 90 rating.

MY NOTES:
An offering the antithesis of my grandfather's "For-showing-not-for-blowing" handkerchief. Not always cosmetically sound, this -- but exceptionally performing. My schmatta. Hits all primary tastes* with an easy piquant attachment of peppercorn and mulling spices. Hardwood and mocha notes are primary atop a compost under-belly. Twixt thems are beefy leathers and baccy.

FINAL GRADE: A-

A 90-100
B 80-89
C 70-79
D 60-69
F 0-59
El Baton, schmatta back-drop.
EDITOR'S NOTES:
Perchance thought more-so than note, proper. In the interest of sharing what yous gentlepersons may deem frivolous to share due to its personal preference or bias, even -- this is my favorite smoke. As a reviewer, I cannot truly say I have an 'everyday,' but I do grab an El Baton whenst looking for some smokable comfort cuisine outta my own wallet. And now ya know a bit about me. It's like we're chums. Pals. Buds. Don't touch me.

Too, on one of my now defunct radio shows, I was accompanied by another El Baton offering. You can listen to that HERE.

*Sour, salty, sweet, bitter, and umami.