Thursday, April 7, 2016

Project X: Offering #11 - Blind Review (Drew Estate Herrera Esteli Norteno)

'Natch by now, I will break down flavors into categories as you will see below. I then shall note any flavor which arises. Too, I will grade according to my K A P L O W I T Z Scale guidelines. This all shall be noted and notated at every 1/3.

I will then offer a final grade ruling. THEN, on ye next Radio Herf (check yer local listings), Mr. Darryl Martin shall reveal what it is that I reviewed. We'll kibbitz 'bout it.

Blind review, yes? Oh, yes. Blind review.

THE CIGAR
*classified*
6 1/2 x 46(ish) Oval Pressed
DECLASSIFIED
Drew Estate Herrera Esteli Norteno
San Andres wrapper
Honduran binder
Nicaraguan filler
ACT I

FLAVORS
Animal: Manure. Meat. Musk.
Sweet: Bittersweet. Black cherry, Cocoa/chocolate. Dried fruit (finish). Fresh fruit (draw).
Spicy: Black pepper. Chili pepper. Cinnamon. Cloves. Ginger.
Woody: Charred/burnt. Tannic. Toasted. Cedar wood.
Vegetal: Floral. Nuts, raw.
Earthy: Barnyard. Espresso. Peat.
Chemical: Ammonia (trace)
Malt

K A P L O W I T Z SCALE
K being the least, Z the greatest
Appearance I
Construction I
Combustion I
Flavors/Body T
Strength P

NOTES
Ridiculously light hand-feel.
Big flavors on cold pull. Cinnamon > Chocolate > Black earth
Very lean meat. Jerky, jerky.
Mulling spice meant to inc. optional citrus rind (MS separates, leaves citrus)
Raw nuts are nice dimension, surrounded by all the roasting toasting.
Impressive burn/ash, given format.
Throat and chest catch. 
Cedar is very spiced crisp and sweetly, too.
Very clean mouth-feel & long finish. Excellent combo.
Ammonia dissipates 1/2-way thru 1/3. 1/6?
I taste booze. Kinda smell metabolized booze. I just showered last month?!?!
Ash can't make an inch. (Cue schmatta reference.)
I'm holding a cigar, I tells me every so oft.
ACT II

FLAVORS
Animal: Smoked meat. Manure
Sweet: Black cherry, Cocoa/chocolate. Dried fruit (finish). Fresh fruit (draw). Molasses.
Spicy: Black pepper. Chili pepper. Cinnamon. Cloves. Ginger.
Woody: Charred/burnt. Tannic. Toasted. Cedar wood. Aromatic tobacco.
Vegetal: Floral. Nuts, raw. Nuts, roasted.
Earthy: Barnyard. Espresso. Peat.

K A P L O W I T Z SCALE
Appearance T
Construction T
Combustion T
Flavors/Body T
Strength L

NOTES
Liquid smoke flavoring note.
Sweet notes play musical chairs.
Citrus soars toastedly so.
Apple wood.
Nuts hang low. lol
... then return roasted. Somewhat candied. Salad topper.
Espresso rides high, syrupy.
Ash sturdies.
Burn slows at mid-point.
Room-note is gangbusters.
Draw tightens half a tick.
Throat/chest lets up.
Palate is a bit ouchy-mama.
At the end of the finish: kosher pickle.
Ash oils, darkens. Shaft oils up.
Press holds like a champ.
!A pressed offering with mah-velous construction!
ACT III

FLAVORS
Animal: Smoked meat subdues). Manure
Sweet: Black cherry, Cocoa/chocolate. Dried fruit (finish). Fresh fruit (draw). Molasses.
Spicy: Black pepper (smooths). Chili pepper. Cinnamon. Cloves. Ginger.
Woody: Charred/burnt (less). Tannic. Toasted. Cedar wood. Aromatic tobacco.
Vegetal: Floral. Nuts, roasted.
Earthy: Barnyard. Espresso. Peat.

K A P L O W I T Z SCALE
Appearance T
Construction T
Combustion T
Flavors/Body T
Strength O

NOTES
Black bread, toasted. Crusty.
Would have liked a bigger transition.
Chocolate is a dark Dove bar sinful.
Floral notes are plate sized tropical dark things.
Mouth-feel is tinglier, then buttered like a salve.
... not a butter-note, per se.
Very much like 2/3 -- which was very much like 1/3.
Flirts with linear; we'll call it straight-forward, as it's excitable.
Smoke-hole gets warm.
Draw is impeccable.
I felt all along it would go out if left a moment.
Cuban coffee w/ this, please.
Licorice/anise vibed (thru-out) -- never happened fully.

FINAL GRADE
****A-****

REMEMBER: Tune into the next Radio Herf (check local listings) for the reveal.
POSTSCRIPT: In the interest of uniformity, I will be working from a flavor chart via Stogie Fresh.