Monday, September 30, 2024

I Might Eat My Words, but I Feel I Drink My Cigars

I Might Eat My Words, but I Feel I Drink My Cigars

I've been thinking about this recently, hear me out. What better start than that to ensure no one reads the rest? A big Thank You to those brave few of you remaining in attendance. But I digress, and rather quicker than even usual! So, I've been thinking... how my cigar smoking leans more towards my drinking than eating, in terms of deciphering and delivering tasting notes.

Coffee, espresso and their many drink iterations. Tea, often black leaves. Hot cocoa, particularly spiced and depending on the type of chocolate itself, covers the realm of that stuff at least as well as any other form be it bars or cakes. Cream, and all its percentile dilutions, and even of itself. Sugar! How about a cider and those spices? Salted libation iterations, as well. I will pay this more heed moving forward, I think.

I've become impassioned. Apologies for the avalanche. I continue.

Liquids don't structure. Liquids, too, don't form an earthen stage for the players; but those players seemingly can all be described as cupped. Hot or cold, clear or clouded. Orange Julius. Bourbon and other whiskies. Wine, both white and red. The less said about pink wines, roses, the better. I made mention of hot cocoa, but chocolate milk, am I right? I think I am. Cocktails and bitters. Ciders, certainly, also apple juice and jack. I really feel as though I'm on to something.

All the great pairings, traditionally, are fluids. Barring a pip or two of chocolate, which melts fast. A port wine, a coffee drink, a cuppa tea, a whisk(e)y, but now I repeat myself. [Colas and sodas have entered the conversation.] That must mean I'm correct. Pairing with food is a newer phenomenon, perhaps one simply piggy-backing the popularity of foods and foodies we have currently been experiencing.

Burnt pizzas and runny scrambled eggs. Phooey and hooey.

A cigar dinner is lovely but please don't pull a draw of baccy through a mouthful of filet. See, there are direct pairings, and there are less-direct pairings. A smoke and a sip run virtually-concurrently. A draw and a dine each have their separate time within a shared larger frame. Stands to reason that a more dead-on cigar (or pipe tobacco) note explanation would be a liquid and not solid metaphorical endeavor.

Finally, think of taking a sample draw on a smoke you've yet to try. Are you doing something more like swishing and spitting, or chewing and swallowing? Are you sipping an iota of perhaps a broth or sauce off a chef's spoon-tip, or are you taking a plateful of a meat or pastry? I'd say the formers and not the latters. The former meaning the first instance--the latter the second. I'm often called condescending and it makes me feel terrible.

Mainly due to being certain they wouldn't understand my condescension.

::: very :::