Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Founders Cigars Franklin Connecticut in Review

BRAND: Founders
BLEND: Franklin Connecticut

WRAPPER: Ecuadorian Connecticut Shade
BINDER: Ecuadorian Habano 2000
FILLER: Nicaraguan, Dominican

FORMAT: Robusto
ORIGIN: Dominican Republic
INTENSITY: Medium

NOTES:
Black pepper | Balsa wood | Citrus

Harsh. I'm greeted by an open draw that funnels the smoke down my gullet in gulps. Odd, since I previously had to put down a Founders Signature Dual Wrap due to it being plugged. Oh well, handmade products and all. Flavors here are somewhat scorched and difficult to distinguish. But it does settle-in come the end of its opening act.

I feel a bit like I licked a sheet of sandpaper. Some balsa wood notes. Black pepper, lemon candies. Into the 2/3 it's mellowed just some, after the most aggressive Connecticut introduction I've maybe ever experienced. A bit of a builder's tea note (black tea with milk and sugar). Leather and earth layered lasagna-style nethers. Baking spices.

There's a good deal of softening on-down the barrel. The draw kindly tightens up some via progression. The ash is quite dark but covered in a silver sheath; a bit of a Trojan Horse tact--but also builds quite well. Smoke out-put wiggles around a moderate+ to ++ and the aroma is a bit of slightly over-baked pound cake. This thing really kept me on my toes, I'll give it that.

TASTE: B-
DRAW: B
BURN: B+
BUILD: B

FINAL GRADE: B
A 90-100 B 80-89 C 70-79

[Note this is the old packaging (black silhouette) from a previous factory prior to moving from there. I have not heard that the blend has been or will be changed.]

::: very :::