Wednesday, June 29, 2022

A Brief Set of Cases for The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes (Making a Case for the Case-Book)

A Brief Set of Cases for The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes (Making a case for the Case-Book)

A bit of light reading here, wherein I quite briefly posit reasons why each of the cases in The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes is well-worth a read (or even a second read). I at times bemoan the common views of this collection which place it well below the other collections. While there are some spots in the Casebook which are written rather looser in comparison, I also feel much of this criticism is over-done. It's sometimes as if a dead horse is lying in state and every Sherlockian feels the need to kick it as they pass-by.

Again, I'll state not begrudgingly at all, that some are lesser but also, as with pizza, even bad Sherlock is good Sherlock. Some actually read, as I've said elsewhere, as if more along the lines of The Exploits of Sherlock Holmes by Adrian Doyle (and partly John Dickson Carr), rather than being penned by his pops. No, I am not leveling any sort of accusation there. When I say loose, I of course mean less tight. As I said, this is light reading, this post. A real fluff piece.

Because sometimes Sherlockian Scholarship, my own included, gets so steeped in its own pursuit of tongue-in-cheek scholarly ways, it forgets to have healthy goofy fun. I like having goofy fun. Why, just yesterday, I took a walk. This and that should prove that light-hearted whimsy is no stranger at all to I. Still, it is good to have some semblance of rules in all things, if for no other reason than for the comfort of my readership--which is a thing I find of utmost importance to offer.

In keeping with rules, what to expect, and above all else said comfort, here's how I will posit my case for the Casebook: I (again) in keeping with light reading, will simply supply the name of each adventure in its turn. This will be followed by a few selling-points with which I will attempt to tantalize you into taking that first or another look into the tale. This will also hopefully place us all on the sunny side of the street, a place that's good to be now and again.

So sans any further ado, grab some grey-tinted or otherwise sun-glasses and...

The Adventure of the Illustrious Client
A rogue, Chinese pottery, and a woman scorned!

The Adventure of the Blanched Soldier
Holmes narrates, familial intrigue, and leprosy!

The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone
A dummy, a phonograph, and a royal jewel!

The Adventure of the Three Gables
Robbery, a tell-all book, and a trip around the world!

The Adventure of the Sussex Vampire
VAMPIRE!, a weird kid, and a Giant Rat of Sumatra!

The Adventure of the Three Garridebs
Funny money, an elaborate rouse, and Holmes likes Watson*!

The Problem of Thor Bridge
A hot-blooded Latina, a Rube Goldberg-ian suicide, and a set-up!

The Adventure of the Creeping Man
Dr. Jekyll, Mr. Hyde, and monkey 'roids!

The Adventure of the Lion's Mane
I got nothing here.

The Adventure of the Veiled Lodger
Circus folk, a lion attacks, and a murderous love triangle!

The Adventure of Shoscombe Old Place
H and W go fishing, then to the ponies, and then to a crypt!

The Adventure of the Retired Colourman
Jealousy, madness, and fresh paint!

Now go READ MORE. 

::: very :::

* as a friend.