Friday, April 29, 2022

To Build a Better Builder's Tea

To Build a Better Builder's Tea (A Horizontal Tasting, of Sorts)

Please enjoy this bit of a change from the usual Tobacciana | Sherlockiana Kaplowitz Media. content offered. Although tea is a fine and over-looked premium tobacco pairing. It also goes famously well with books.

Builder's tea, or brew, is a strongly brewed black tea, served hot to be clear. Typically milk and maybe less typically these days, sugar is added as well. The brewing method is per cup, via tea bag; using neither loose leaf nor teapot. This nom de tea, as you may have known or guessed, is of British coinage. Also, historically, cheaper tea was employed in its conjuring. A cuppa of blue-collar 'get 'er done, guv'nah' roots.

I'm a bit of a tea guy myself, and much of what I drink could be called builder's tea. While I don't build with my hands, I do build with my mind--which is pretty much the same thing until I can't thought experiment change-out a flat tire on the side of the road. Nevertheless, a thing I like about being a tea drinker is (I've noted this prior) exactly what the string and tab of a teabag laid over-top the rim of a mug says to others about you. No one bothers the obvious tea drinker to help move a heavy box. "Leave him be, he's a reader."

(Note: that Yorkshire is the only of the three soon-to-be-named teas with a string.)

Sure, that cosy intellectual bookworm sentiment flies in the face of 'builder's' but I find it holds wonderfully true in at least my modern American experience. Speaking of both wonderfully and experience, you might be wondering as to what brand of tea I prefer to experience. After all, that is the most important part of the whole shebang. The truth is I don't know for sure, but I want to. I will say I calmly fluctuate between three options--all of which I regularly stock in my cupboard:

They are Tetley's Brtish Blend, PG Tips Original, and the afore-mentioned Yorkshire. They are noted as being, as per their respective websites, "Deliciously rich and robust," "A delicious smooth cuppa," and, "A proper brew--pure and simple." Now I won't geek out over their leafy components beyond again noting they consist of black teas, but I will note a bit about these slogans. Firstly, it's nice to see that hipster ampersand usage has yet to pervade there.

Also, I perhaps strangely prefer 'proper' to 'delicious' in terms of descriptors, points awarded to Yorkshire (Sir Patrick Stewart's preference). Tetley, in turn, gets points for 'rich and robust' over 'smooth.' While we're tallying, 'pure and simple' runs too touchy-feely and yet also awkwardly clinical. 'Cuppa' can be seen as authentic, too cutesy, or both. Truth be told, however, this tact has begun to feel like a less than ideal way to suss out a favorite.

What I now have in front of me are three vintage McDonald's Garfield mugs. I picked them up at a garage sale a bit ago to replace the ones I had as a kid. In each cartoon festooned quirky vessel is a single teabag. One Tetley Brish Blend, one PG Tips, and one Yorkshire. I don't mean to over-excite when I say this, but also, the kettle is on! Soon, the teas will be brewing for three minutes. Afterward, I will add to each a measured teaspoon of sugar and another of milk.

Then, I'll drink 'em all. And report--

::: MY FINDINGS :::

Tetley British Blend:
The brew of the deepest hue. Has a bit of a naggy medicinal almost ointment quality to its bouquet. Bandage adhesive smell-taste... maltiest of the three. Tastes deep as its hue on the first sip but then trails off a bit, although the clean finish is nice. A good amount of tannins. Nice structure. Woodsy, earthen. Perhaps somewhat one-dimensional. Morning cuppa. Silver medal.

PG Tips:
The best in terms of aromatics. A deep, rich, nuanced floral nose. Plush posh mouthfeel, the best body of the three. Lingers in layers of complexity. Ends creamily, missing cleanly. Shy on tannic quality but not apparently trying there, nor completely void of that. Lots to see and delivered confidently. Full and comforting. Sating. Leathery earthen. After dinner cuppa. Gold medal.

Yorkshire:
The most diluted complexion of the three, and the least aromatic. Inoffensive palate shares the eye's diluted tendencies. More floral-vegetal and citrusy and lesser-so earthen, as compared to the others. Nice structuring but nothing really to test it. The most tannic of the three. Midday cuppa w/ cucumber sandwiches. I will continue purchasing for a 'proper' teapot offering. Bronze medal.

I have to pee.

::: very :::