Thursday, April 7, 2022

Partagas Cigars Anejo Petit Robusto in Review II

Partagas Cigars Anejo Petit Robusto in Review II

WRAPPER: Cameroon/Connecticut Shade
BINDER: Dominican
FILLER: Mexican, Dominican

FORMAT: Petit Robusto (4.5x49)
ORIGIN: General Cigar Dominicana
INTENSITY: n/a

For a Holmesian-inspired review of this Partagas Anejo offering, I have decided to look at it through the lens (of sorts) of two canonical stories. Also to don my own metaphorical deerstalker. The two tales are The Boscombe Valley Mystery and The Adventure of the Speckled Band. From that springboard, I'll be going off on somewhat of an experimental tangent (see: hat). There is at ::: very ::: least a method to my madness. I thought I'd offer you that much with which to take heart in.

From The Speckled Band: "That fatal night Dr. Roylott had gone to his room early, though we knew he had not retired to rest, for my sister was troubled by the smell of strong Indian cigars which was his custom to smoke." Aroma, room-note, the 'whlolfactory,' will play a role in this review, then. What causes these smelly smells, and how can that translate to taste? These clues will go a long way, for sure. I'll show my work throughout.

From The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "Light a cigar and let me expound." - Holmes to Watson. We'll drop a pin on that sentiment and find our way back to it in a tick. In the by and by, from later in the text: "He had even smoked there. I found the ash of a cigar, which my special knowledge of tobacco ashes enables me to pronounce as an Indian cigar. I have, as you know, devoted some attention to this, and written a little monograph on the ashes of 140 different varieties of pipe, cigar, and cigarette tobacco."

This is obviously all about the ash, in a visual sense. Bringing optics fully aboard, I'll stretch this sense into its longest possible length by incorporating all I see of the cigar as it burns. This, along with the aforementioned sense of smell, will be all I bring to this review (probably). Wild, huh? I have hopes it will prove somewhat instructional as well.

Remember that dropped pin? Here's where my '"experimental tangent" comes fully into play. From pre-light to trayed nub, I (to be redundantly clear) will be offering no flavor or first-person notes as to what I am 'getting.' I will simply be recording the above-mentioned senses and how they're stimulated--as if it is not myself smoking the Partagas Anejo, but someone else. (We sit close but not so close as to pre-light sniff the cigar.) I am simply searching the scene for mere trifles, in order to understand the quality and characteristics of the cigar being smoked in my presence.

So here we go in this, our little experiment, as I as Holmes, instruct I Watson, to retrieve a cigar from the coal-scuttle. (Why not play this up?) I wish I could hand it to another party, thus having facial gestures and body language fully at my disposal but alas, this is not currently an option. Hopefully and however, at the end of this all, I'll hear myself echoing the good doctor's "You have followed me wonderfully!" (The Adventure of the Resident Patient) as Holmes readily reads his thoughts.

A word before we commence: please do read more (canonical) Sherlock Holmes. Predominantly, that's what all of my Sherlockian posts ultimately try to accomplish. READ MORE.

::: THE REVIEW :::

The band is too large, perhaps made to be applied also to the thicker vitola of the blend*? Its BIG font wraps too far around to fully read from just the front. It covers much of the barrel, in fact. So I kindly but firmly instruct its removal. 

The barber-pole is uneven in that Cameroon is well-wider than Connecticut. Spicier more than smoother is what this leads me to believe. Of note is that the line of the double-wrapper is not even throughout. The CT strip begins at its mean, thins to almost zilch at mid-point, then reaches its thickest at the cap. So that I hypothesize intensity to travel medium, medium-full, mild-medium.

[There is no way to know if the wavering width of the CT (and Cameroon for that matter) is purposefully-done or not. Therefore, it won't factor into my "Build" grading.]

Furtherly eyeing the top-leaf shows a lesser-than moderate amount of bumps and veins. I do not visibly detect any hard/soft spots or shape irregularities. Seams seem well seamed, as does the cap appear well-affixed in a triple(?) manner. Therefore, no burn or draw bugaboos are predicted upon inspection. Some light oils are on the Cameroon which suggests a slight oiliness to smoke. the leaf at the foot is not at all dark and also includes some paler highlights. Doesn't appear to boast much nicotine or backbone. I'd guess sweet citrus from all available data.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." - Holmes, A Scandal in Bohemia.

As to continuing my prelight flavor guesstimates, I'd too assume little to no pepper. But a nice earthy/woody spice from the chocolatey Cameroon and more filler-type sight notes from the Connie shade. Tangy, but with some depth. Overall, I'd assume that depth of nuance, if not complexity, on account of the barber-pole alone. In this experiment, I am knowledgeable about the leaf and their characteristics because, like the Great Detective, "My job is to know what other people do not know."

Speaking of which, I expect the age** of each leaf to mellow it a good tick. I also know of the inclusion of Mexican leaf with no age-statement attached to it. Much newer and less mellowed, would be the assumption there. So more chocolate, add in coffee, and some darker spice--still not pepper, per se, is my guess. None too gruff due to its company. I also wonder where it is included. Perhaps in the taken as spiciest mid-point would make sense, if not the entire length. I doubt its appearance toward the cap (final third). I  also suspect the Dominican filler bits could perhaps dry the mouth-feel.

It lights with the slightest hesitation, speaking to oils and perhaps creams. Maybe too, a more moist vibe. I detect no squish between fingers so I dismiss moist (no draw issues) but keep an eye out. Heavier than moderate body. Plentiful smoke out-put, white, a bit thicker than average--serves to corroborate the previous notions. The ash is also white, telling no tells of acrid tendencies. The ::: very ::: whiteness of this ash could speak to sharpness, however... or simply staunch delineations. Burn-line is imperfectly fine and razor-thin, in accordance with its wrapper being well-aged.

The aroma is fairly muted-cushy, pointing again to a soft palate experience. I smell prior assumed notes and also a bit of cereal grain, some honey. Scant pale and lightly savory leather. A hint of exotic spice, a rumor of fleeting white pepper. Rumors are things you hear often-times. I quickly note there is no audible sizzling or popping, good. (Please pardon the added sense.) Back to visuals, I see a slow but not lumbering burn-rate. All indications lead to a rather mellow, mostly consistent affair. My chronicler has to retouch a slow-burning bit of mid-way-point Cameroon. Oily, then.

Judging by his cheeks, the amount of time he holds the smoke, and the frequency of his draws, there is an average pull-tension at most, and no ill effects from this again mellow smoke. The pace of the second-third burn slows noticeably. I hazard a guess that this is the most robust section, the darkest most nuanced notes. My olfactory sense would second that. I also begin to smell a bit of tanginess shortly thereafter the half-point. The time between each draw expands. He begins to smack his lips. Saliva seems to build, judging from mouth movements and slurping sounds.

The time-between expands again as the width of Connecticut does as well, here in the final third. A more salty, malty earth is smelled, with a rise in tanginess, a struggling dusty sweetness. I see his eyebrows knot on a singular pull. He sips his sweetened drink. Sour. The ash grows darker and I begin to detect the probability of an acrid entrant. I smell bright flowers, then untethered, indistinguishable things. Of course, I could simply ask the poor fellow what he, in fact, has experienced but I am well-known to return his thoughts quite harshly. 

"You have degraded what could have been a course of lectures into a series of tales." - The Adventure of the Copper Beeches. 

I lift my violin instead. A sweet sound just might serve to offset that troublesome sharply-sour conclusion. If it spills out-into the melancholy London streets, all the better.

TASTE: n/a
DRAW: n/a
BURN: A-
BUILD: A-
PRESENTATION: B+
OLFACTORY: B+

FINAL GRADE: B+
A 90-100 B 80-89 C 70-79

*At a time, I'd have maybe guessed this potentially spoke to an overall sort of 'meh' in regards to the project that is this blend but knowing the current cost of paper, as well as the materials used, I simply noticed and moved on. Plus, the over-sized font could be exaggerating this.

**Cameroon 1998, Connecticut Shade 2013.

::: ALMOST DONE :::

Below is the schedule of this 'Partagas Project.' You have just read 3. (For which, as Holmes told Watson in The Adventure of the Empty House, goes just the same for me to you, "I owe you a thousand apologies.")

1. Intro (about the blend & project)
2. Review (Regular)
3. Review (Sherlock Holmes)
4. Review (Something quirky)
5. Review (Cigar Aficionado style)
6. Review (Limerick)
7. Review (Long-form)
8. Review (Flavor wheel)
9. Review (Kaplowitz Scale review)
10. Review (Doggeral poem)
11. Review (Primary tastes)
12. Overview

[PLEASE NOTE: regardless of which installment of this multi-post project you come in on, you can find the rest of the entries by employing the Search Kaplowitz Media. function to the right of your screen. Try typing in "Partagas Project."] (These instructions were edited for clarity 4/23/22.)

::: very :::

Online sources for this article include: Lit2Go and Good Reads.