Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Excerpt XII from the Kaplowitz Media. Unnamed Cigar Dictionary Project

Excerpt XII from the Kaplowitz Media. Unnamed Cigar Dictionary (UCD) Project (V is for Victory)

"Also, I'm closing in on my last-half of February yearly hiatus which begins on the 14th and ends on March 1. During that period of time away, I'll be pumping a lot of energy into this project, and we'll see where we stand when that then has become our now." That was me, in the previous installment of UCD excerpts.

My hiatus, in reality, saw me mostly struggling through some stomach issues and being able to work on the UCD far less than I'd hoped to, due to that and other commitments. But don't worry, there's more bad news. Over that time I was made to further realize that the cost of paper these days is threatening to fairly double my costs of self-publishing. This project will continue, however. Slowly but surely and at the worst, will live digitally in some fashion. A book remains the ultimate goal.

Why self-publish? Because I am a control freak with a vision and without a literary agent.

::: EXCERPT :::

V is for Victory
The victory cigar, in sports, dates back to (according to some) 1961. It was then that a Crimson Tide coach Jim Goostree handed out congratulatory smokes upon the team beating their nemesis Volunteers. This victory snapped a six-year losing streak in those face-offs. Others, of which I am one, give credit to the legendary Red Aurbach. We Brooklynite Hebrew-Americans must stick together.

V-cutter A style of cigar Cutter that has out-lived its usefulness due to difficulties that this type has with today’s larger ring gauge cigars. However, it remains handy if you wish to mangle a cigar of any size and/or restrict the draw on a tapered offering. The ‘V’ comes from the shape that the cut leaves in the cap. Maybe from the shape of the blade. Maybe both. 

Operationally, it’s a subtype of Guillotine whose intent is to offer a wider surface to take bigger amounts of smoke in-through. It’s the same thought process that gave rise to ingesting alcohol via ‘other’ body orifices. Guys who use this cutter-type are generally also guys who say “Broski,” and “Humi.” BUT MUCH OF THIS IS JUST MY OPINION.

lol

Vein Tobacco is a plant and plants have leaves and leaves have veins. I have seen and heard many times, a person complain about veins in their cigar’s Filler. They are, however, a necessary aid in any offering insofar as firstly aiding burn, secondly adding a bit of flavor. As to Wrapper veins, an appearance of such will ding my rating of say a Connecticut Shade, but lesser-so a Connecticut Broadleaf.

There ya go, just polishing up the 'V' with a little spit-shine, if you will. I am working my way back through the ABCs, currently. WXYZ looks like it will be handled in one smallish and fell swoop.

I'd also like to note that this project has changed in some ways due to the recent passing of a certain individual. In light of that, some sources I have used to check my facts are Lee Marsh, Tobacconist University, and Cigar Aficionado. The UCD is now dedicated to Frank Seltzer.

This particular installment was aided by an article in The Athletic Ink entitled "Defiance, bragging: A history of victory cigars, from Red to MJ, Team Canada's party, Buckeyes and Bama, Lebron and Steph"

::: FONT GUIDE :::
(as to the above)

Excerpt from the work-in-progress book (UCD).
My thoughts on the work-in-progress book (UCD).
Italics within definitions are recommendations to see that entry.

::: WHAT DID I JUST READ? :::

As you Gentlepersons hopefully know or are at the ::: very ::: least now FINALLY aware of under that rock of yours, I am constructing a Cigar Dictionary. A book. It is yet to have been named. Its working title is "Unnamed Cigar Dictionary" (UCD). I will change that "As soon as possible" (ASAP). Nevertheless, the idea of the whole thing, the game plan, is that I will blog the process of creating & assembling the UCD on a non-scheduled basis.

Included in these blog posts will be my italicized thoughts regarding said creating & assembling process--and as we get closer to it being a book proper, the process of that, as well. THESE WILL NOT BE INCLUDED IN THE FINISHED BOOK. Please note that not everything, including the whole or part of definitions, will appear in the finished book.

To read other excerpts, search Unnamed Cigar Dictionary or UCD, in the Search Kaplowitz Media. field to the right of your screen. The Blog Archive can also be perused.

The completion of this project has *NO TIMEFRAME.

::: very :::