Friday, January 21, 2022

Excerpt X from the Kaplowitz Media. Unnamed Cigar Dictionary Project

lo-fi & lovely

Excerpt X from the Kaplowitz Media. Unnamed Cigar Dictionary Project

Before we get into this, I have a confession. Work has slowed to a halt in terms of this project. This is temporary however and should pick up again in the coming days. I'm glad I got that off my chest. Also, as somewhat of an update, I'm a strong-not-scant 90% done with my first jaunt through the alphabet. Then will come a second jaunt. Then, some further verbal pizzazz--followed by illustrations--visual pizzazz*. In closing: PIZZAZZ.

That stated, here are three (3) entries + that I believe & hope will find you well.

::: EXCERPT :::

Churchill A Pajejo Vitola which, in Cuban factories, measures seven inches long with a Ring Gauge of 47. In New World specs, think in terms of an offering measuring 6 3/4 to 7 inches, with a ring gauge (or RG) of at least 47, normally 48. I personally abhor a 50RG "Churchill."

Did you know that Winston Churchill (from whom this format gains its nom de tobacco) was famously lazy? I always am put in mind of Mycroft Holmes when I think of The British Bulldog working from his bed until an 11am Whiskey & Soda accompanied stroll through his garden, with a stogie in tow, I am most certain.

Back to Cuban factories, the Churchill is known as a Julieta No. 2. At the factory level. Romeo y Julieta was first to use the Churchill moniker in terms of retail in either the late 1940s or early 50s (depending upon who you ask). Prior to this naming shift, the size went by the name of Clemenceau. Obviously, “Churchill” became the common name across-the-board.

Robusto A 5X50 cigar size, classically. While all cigars are getting fatter, this format seems among the most susceptible to sneaking up a notch or two. 5x52 and 54 are pretty common. Must be all the McDonald’s they were fed as kids.

Toro Traditionally, a Vitola that measures one inch longer than a Robusto, so 6x50. Much more common now is a 6x52 expression. 

In days of yore, the Corona size was what most offerings were blended in. Nowadays, much to my chagrin and the general growing largess of cigars, I understand this vitola is popular to ‘blend to,’ that’s fine. Another way to state this shift is that the toro is now a quite average size when not long ago at all, it was considered humungous.

There you go. Three (or perhaps 2.5) currently popular formats (sorry, Churchill). In compiling these entries, I often have thoughts of mine presented to me all over again. One of which is the overall growing size of cigars. The prevailing wisdom behind this is that the consumer senses more bang for their buck. I could go on here about how that is an incorrect view, but perhaps that's best expressed in its own article at a later time.

I continue to feel it awkward to include 'parejo' alongside 'vitola,' which is why I didn't do it here consistently. I'm still on the fence as to this and will hop off onto one side or the other any day now. Too, I feel as though I used the word shift a lot. It's what it is though. What's a synonym? Dunno, I'm stumped. Nonplussed. Put at a loss. Baffled.

::: BONUS MATERIAL :::

Vitola The size and shape of a cigar as designated by the factory in which it’s rolled, and again by the brand that brings it to market. Robusto is a vitola, for instance. As is Toro, etc. Worthy of note is that there is no true strict standard adhered to by brands. Lots of wiggle-room.

Parejo A cigar with straight edges (Lonsdale, Robusto, Toro). A cigar with not-straight edges (Perfecto, Belicoso, Diadema) is called a Figurado.

Please note that some entries in this excerpt have appeared in other installments. I fell into a theme here and ran with it, but I do believe these second appearances are somewhat different as editing is a constant.

I'll make it up to you with this next bit.

A is for Apple… 

(& quite a weird way to begin.) A common question people don’t ask me is how best to clean their palate between cigars. This always, whenever it doesn’t happen, strikes me odd. Because why not let time heal all wounds and cleanse all palates? There are precious few of us who need to back-to-back smoke cigars while retaining a sense of clarity. Regardless, eat an apple if you need to rush the hands of time. The funny thing is if you needed to know that, you do and also have your own method already. Succinctly, do not chain-smoke cigars for funsies.

::: FONT GUIDE :::

Excerpt from the work-in-progress book (UCD).
My thoughts on the work-in-progress book (UCD).
Italics within definitions are recommendations to see that entry.

::: WHAT DID I JUST READ? :::

As you Gentlepersons hopefully know or are at the ::: very ::: least now FINALLY aware of under that rock of yours, I am constructing a Cigar Dictionary. A book. It is yet to have been named. Its working title is "Unnamed Cigar Dictionary" (UCD). I will change that "As soon as possible" (ASAP). Nevertheless, the idea of the whole thing, the game plan, is that I will blog the process of creating & assembling the UCD on a non-scheduled basis.

Included in these blog posts will be my italicized thoughts regarding said creating & assembling process--and as we get closer to it being a book proper, the process of that, as well. THESE WILL NOT BE INCLUDED IN THE FINISHED BOOK. Please note that not everything, including the whole or part of definitions, will appear in the finished book.

To read other excerpts, search Unnamed Cigar Dictionary or UCD, in the Search Kaplowitz Media. field to the right of your screen.

I need you Gentlepersons to get excited about this and not be able to wait to purchase it--whenever it finally is completed and available for said purchasing. *NO TIMEFRAME.

::: very :::