Monday, December 27, 2021

A Corn Cob Pipe is a Lot Like Cheap Underwear (& other layered musings)

lo-fi & lovely

A Corn Cob Pipe is a Lot Like Cheap Underwear (& other layered musings)

When you really think of it, 'wear.' in regards to your lower outerwear is typically long. See: pants. I feel like I've gone off on the wrong foot, maybe. I do know shorts are a popular alternative although I hold fast to the notion that they shouldn't be worn by anyone over the age of 11. Let me re-address. If your outerwear is long, why is your underwear short? Mine ain't. From late fall to early spring anyway, I'm a long johns passionado. Although I must admit even though I never wear shorts, I do wear briefs in the summer months. I'll probably edit this all out prior to publishing. 

[and begin here] I did and still do have a point and here it is: thermal underwear. I get mine at Walmart. They're cheap and dependable and sometimes, just sometimes--only cheap. But if you drop a twenty on two pairs, one of them is almost bound to outlive the pitfall of the immediate crotch seam blowout. Clearly stated, I'd say 30% (scientifically) of all Walmart long johns split right up the crack, first wearing. That means 70% do not. I'd sign up for those odds eight days a week. Not only is that a numerical no-brainer--but the intangible part of the equation is that those that don't die on arrival, go on to be long-wearing and super comfortable. 

Everything I just said, with a bit of wiggle-room on the price and bullshit percentages, can be said for a corn cob pipe via a reputable manufacturer. They (if they don't blow-out tits-up pronto) are care-free, indestructible, and comfy af. No real breaking-in period, no pipe rotation concerns, no ghosting whatsoever. To be clear, I'm speaking only to the pipes for the last little bit. Plus, you taste the tobacco, not the briar. Did I mention I'm mostly bitching about briar? Here's another analogy... I don't review pipe tobacco from a briar because I also do not store my cigars up for review in a cedar humidor. See? There are two types of pipers, those about the pipe and those about the tobacco. I'm faulting neither but casting my lot with one.

Please refrain from sewing up your faulty long johns as well as patching up your dud cobs. I'm as cheap as the next Hebrew-American of Ruska Roma lineage but c'mon, man!

I smoke clay pipes. They have all the benefits of cobs but also fit my personal aesthetic. This time of year (winter) I smoke more pipes than your mom lol, and definitely more pipes than I do cigars. Because it's cold out and a clay pipe is a delightful 25 minutes-or-so as opposed to a hypothermia-filled hour-long cigar. So this is Christmas, and what have you done? Nothing good if you haven't grabbed yourself some cheap long underwear and a corn cob (or clay) pipe. If I can or could recommend one thing and one thing only, I'd say to you maybe eat a salad or three during the holidays. If I might offer up a second thought, maybe the stuff you just read here. 

To clarify, a clay pipe is more likely than a cob to be a good smoker, although it will be hot and come with a learning curve--one that will ultimately make you a better smoker. However, the second you accidentally drop a clay pipe it explodes into smithereens. Not a decent lunting option then, but if golf is a good walk spoiled (a sentiment falsely attributed to Mark Twain) walks have always ruined any premium tobacco I've ever tried to enjoy during which. Bearing in mind I'm quite the walker and a fan of the historic sport of Pedestrianism, a thing you should look into but I have already burned my lone recommendation a couple of times over. Over.

@kaplowitmedia
Twitter | Instagram

::: very :::