Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Interview w/ Jared Ingrisano, Director of Global Sales, Mombacho Cigars

lo-fi & lovely

Interview w/ Jared Ingrisano, 
Director of Global Sales, Mombacho Cigars

This is a rather lengthy interview.
First, I'd like to thank Jared Ingrisano.
Second, I'd like to get right to it.

:::

Kaplowitz Media: Jared, first off, it's great to get back in touch with you. Congrats on the still new-ish job... which begs the question: why Mombacho?

Jared Ingrisano: Thanks, Kap! It is indeed! It is still new-ish, so thank you. Why Mombacho? I was asked this a considerable amount and became used to spitting out some habitual, long-winded answer. Enough, in fact, that it soon became clear and concise. Mombacho is different. It permeates a different message, it has a totally different feel given Granada, Nicaragua, and the neo-classical mansion factory, Casa Favilli, dripping in such rich history.

It is a different group of folks, mainly focused on a few virtues our industry isn’t necessarily directly associated with, that is a foremost focus on being GRACIOUS and UNCOMPROMISING. Sprinkle in a few other fighters with humility and a strong work ethic, and you’ve got an environment that will make the train move down the tracks.

Plus, in full disclosure, an ownership opportunity is a true blessing for me, and Cam Heaps, President of Mombacho Cigars S.A., allowed for a snug fit along the lines of how I live my life and what I have going on within it. The beauty is that the ethos of the company will always be a litmus for what will work for Mombacho and what will not; as we graduate the company in prestige, so we must humble ourselves and prepare for the same.

KM: Ownership opportunity? Also, you came on board on the heels of Claudio Sgroi departing--did that have any impact on your decision to sign on?

JI: Correct, I have a minority stake in the company alongside, for instance, Claudio, who is still on the board of Mombacho but not in an active role. I was on board before the release, you know how those things need timing and poise, so Claudio and I had the chance to do some significant work within the restructuring of the company under Cam Heaps.

Claudio is from the same town as my parents and grandparents are from, he is truly my paesano. We Italians, Sicilians, and Mediterraneans stick together! He was a part of my decision to come on board, I am glad he is now able to spend more time with his bride and child and venture to the next step of his career after putting in so much effort at Mombacho for so many years.

KM: I was under the impression that Claudio had left the building. Plus, I was going to ask if you knew why. Nevertheless, there is another Mombacho move I wanted to discuss with you, Indiana Ortez as GM...

JI: Yes, Claudio has left in terms of an active role. Claudio as Master Blender will exist in the blends he so wonderfully labored over. For instance, what he has done with the lines we are known for now is beyond a labor of love, he put his everything into them, and with those, we have had sound success and accolades. It’s a pleasure to maintain his blends and grow forward from them.

Miss Indiana Ortez, indeed! Indiana is a consummate professional. Her attention to detail is incredible and her work ethic is second to none. The woman was basically born in a tobacco field. The knowledge she has comes from a generational education coupled with being self-driven enough to roll up her sleeves up invest herself deeply into every single aspect of tobacco and blends. She fits in so well at Mombacho because her character is gracious and her ethic is uncompromising.

KM: You mention old blends and allude to new. Anything newsworthy you'd like to share?

JI: Indiana is currently hyper-focused on production and operations management as her GM role is just starting, but the woman is a wealth of knowledge in tobacco and her humble approach to putting those quality pre-industry methods together harmoniously has proven her to be successful in blending. I am sure there will be something new before we know it!

KM: So full disclosure, I was worried about the future of Mombacho. Now, not so much. Got any other news to ease my worried mind?

JI: It’s the company's 15th Anniversary, the founder, Cam Heaps has stepped up to an operations role as president and brings an insane wealth of knowledge on quality production and management; Casa Favilli is a historic landmark and is pumping more cigars out than ever, and also is in its most excellent shape since being built in 1925.

Nicaragua as a whole is running the globe with finished goods, exporting the best quality smokes; within a few months, all these things will be very noticeable as we refresh and change many existing great products and come out with more. Worry not, Kap: 15 years in and Granada’s only cigar factory, the world's only true colonial mansion factory, new folks who know tobacco and the business, plus the best family and experience in all of cigars!

KM: I feel like I've been unfair thus far. I'm interviewing you, taking time from your schedule, and asking you about everyone & everything else. So, what about you?

JI: I am from Florida. I have sold across the US, Canada, the Caribbean, and Europe. I started as a road warrior rep for Drew Estate (Territory Manager) which assisted in changing the Florida cigar sales landscape (tough market as they all say). From there, I traveled in the Drew Estate marketing team representing small partner brands and so on so forth to international sales.

For Mombacho, we will heavily focus on Florida and the great South, peppering in some of the North East. Also, we have plans to grow Texas and other awesome states; hand-selecting retail partners to grow alongside. So far we cover a pretty hefty map in terms of where the product is available, but still very lightly--though all folks know Mombacho everywhere I have gone.

KM: Thanks a ton for being so patient here, Jared. I really do appreciate it. Now, if I may try that patience a bit more, you see, I have these five questions I ask of everyone...

Who has mentored you and who have you mentored?

I had the opportunity to learn some serious ropes from a few of the classic gents: Richie Castiano in terms of how to truly serve a retailer; Rex Snyder when I first started at Drew Estate in terms of account care and exceeding expectations as a company man. Recently Cameron Heaps of Mombacho has been a real shining light in how to set up being distinct, his diversity in business and family focus is so impressive, especially since it is coupled with true gentleman nature and a joy, not just happiness, of life. 

The best I have had has been Philip S Zanghi III. Phil is not like how you call someone “uncle”, he is truly family. The man has opened up about all things and in a humble and masculine way has guided me in numerous areas of tobacco and general industry knowledge. I owe a ton of my vision moving forward in the industry to his words, gestures, and support. 

Even today I fire off ideas and questions to him, he is one of the few true men of this industry, an industry with a lot of unnecessary flim-flams and a high volume of spurious characters. Bless them all, of course, but I’ll take this opportunity to say those who are true, the Richies, the Phils, they are the real backbones.

What have you compromised and what won’t you compromise?

I haven’t compromised. I do believe I stayed a few courses a bit too long with certain dealings in the industry but that’s said by hindsight which is 20/20. I will not compromise my inherent vocation of protecting and providing, whether that’s family or those I work with. 

I will not compromise my faith and have zero time or willingness to engage in anything slightly curved--whether it means advancing a career or not, to general conversation at a cigar event. I will not compromise the gentlemanly roots of our industry and will always be available for a brother or even someone I am not aware of or close with to improve together or help, and will always lend an ear... which ultimately is an improvement of self, as well.

When is it a failure?

It’s a failure when you wake up every day and question whether what you're doing is destroying who you would like to be or who you know you need to be. It’s a failure when you fall on the blade of complacency and do not seek challenge and do not seek sacrifice. It is a failure when you put yourself first and when you're willing to seek comfort at the expense of duty or a person.

Where are you on your journey and where are you going?

I am living life, moving about and forward. As usual, supporting those who need support in my personal life, making certain I am joyous and willing to deal with the adversity and emotions of the daily ups and downs which work so diligently to convince us we should not be. 

I am on the way to living the rest of it out for as long as it lasts seeking and intensifying as needed. In cigars, I look forward to continuing to share what we do with the world and continue to meet wonderful people through the many channels of premium tobacco enjoyments across the world!

Why do you succeed?

I am not sure I am succeeding! If I am it's because I try to be a humble servant of my Lord and desire and work toward living a virtuous life.

@kaplowitzmedia

::: very :::