Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Who, What, When, Where, Why? | Terence Reilly, AGANORSA Leaf | Interview by Kaplowitz

"Have you Kaplowitz'd to-day?"


Who has mentored you and who have you mentored?

My uncle Manuel Quesada was the biggest influence on me and brought me into the industry. I don't know if 'mentor' is the right word, but I've also had the opportunity to spend some time with lots of industry people such as Benji Menendez, Daniel Nunez, the Plasencia family, and, of course, my current employer Eduardo Fernandez and our team at Aganorsa have taught me quite a bit.

I try to learn from everyone. There are people I've never met or haven't spent much time with whom I’ve gained a great deal from simply by observation. In terms of mentoring others, I don't know if I’m qualified for that but I'm always happy to help anyone who thinks my experience can benefit them in some way. 

What have you compromised and what won’t you compromise? 

I think you can't compromise on what you ultimately wish to achieve but you need to compromise in terms of how you achieve it. Your own vision of how to accomplish something rarely can be successfully executed without countless adjustments.

For instance, my goal is to live a fulfilling, meaningful life. When I was younger I thought I would achieve that goal in the realm of academia. I wanted to be a professor. That didn't work out, so I changed directions and eventually got involved in the cigar industry which I have found very rewarding. My goal didn't change but my means of achieving had to.

When is it a failure? 

Failure is the moment when you blame others for your problems and don't take responsibility for your situation. There was a period in my life that I felt the problems I was facing were beyond my control and I was very unhappy.

When I finally stopped focusing on what I couldn’t control and instead began to work on what I could, not only did I feel better but I made changes that put me in a better place. Despite the fact I was never able to correct the initial problem I was facing. You always have a choice.

Where are you on your journey and where are you going? 

A journey implies to me a linear path. I try not to think of where I am in relation to the future as much as focus on the present and what I'm doing right now. Knowing where you want to go is crucial, of course, but it's equally important to focus on the present moment and what's going on around you.

I aim to bring value to those around me in one way or another, whether that be my family, my employer, our retail partners, my co-workers: basically anyone I come into contact with. The more I am able to do confirms to me I am on the right path 

Why do you succeed? 

If you love the process you always win even when you fail. Or perhaps I should say, if you love the process you always win even when you don't achieve what you set out to.

*
*        *

READING LIST

Terence Reilly To Head Sales And Marketing For Casa Fernandez (2017 Blake Droesch, Cigar aficionado)

IPCPR 2018: AGANORSA Leaf (2018 Charlie Minato, Halfwheel)



#KM
Twitter
Facebook
YouTube

Keep #KM going & GROWING:
Donate via PayPal. HERE
Shop for K/M merch HERE