Monday, January 22, 2018

Inferno By Oliva - Cigar Review

You might be wondering why I'm reviewing a Famous house brand stick that's been on the market a good and mainly quiet while. Wells, I'll tells ya. I even talked about it HERE in an episode of Stick Men. Also, I'm building a database of cigar reviews over here! (Last sentence to be read in a Tony Soprano sorta voice.)

The gist of this review (and the already-linked programme) is an exercise in flavors. Tastes. ACTUAL TASTES as in taste buds, with the caveat, that pungency, or pepper-spice in our cigar parlance, is registered in the brain sans the taste-bud route. Mainly, we're removing from the equation food-stuff loose metaphors and leather/wood notations when I ain't ever tasted either/or. Poetic license: REVOKED. Long-time readers may recall my gripes re: all that. They might also recall the K A P L O W I T Z scale, shown re-vamped be-low and to-do with this Inferno...

KAPLOWITZ SCALE
<K=least, Z=most>
sweetness: I
sourness: A
saltiness: L
bitterness: O
savoriness: W
pungency: O

Burns free of necessitated redirect, but with some wobble. Pace is hastened side if moderate at first third, slows considerably thereafter. Nice plumes of thick smoke. Ash drops twice each third displaying as a mottled grey stack of dimes. Draw is an even medium tension gate to wire. Seams and density hold well to tight and medium+, respectively. Some shoulder degradation happens nigh 3/3. An offering of scant complexities but a well balanced and rich thing, this Inferno by Oliva.

WRAPPER: Nicaraguan Habano
BINDER: Nicaraguan
FILLER: Nicaraguan Ligero

STRENGTH: Medium-Full
FORMAT: Robusto
ORIGIN: Nicaragua

FINAL GRADE: B+
A 90-100 B 80-89 C 70-79 D 60-69 F 0-59

Report a typo, win a No-prize.

Keep me going.
Keep me GROWING.
Donate HERE via PayPal.

"For 20 Years" Kaplowitz Radio: January 17, 2018