Sunday, December 18, 2016

(Boxing) Final One: Hopkins / Smith Retrospective

B"H
FINAL ONE -- as it was billed, took place yesterday December 17th in Inglewood, CA. It featured Mr. Joe Smith, Jr. (23-1-19) as the hand-picked opponent of one Mr. Bernard Hopkins (55-8-2-32) in what was B-hop's pugilistic swan-song replete with swan dive -- of sorts. But gentlepersons, I do get ahead a' myself. Before I do-so further, lettuce note that it ain't oft a fighter controls his exit from this most demanding of sport. Just ask Mike Tyson, Muhammad Ali, and a sad many others indeed.

In front of 6,513 in attendance and an HBO audience, 'twixt opening bell and the first three minutes, Mr. Hopkins looked not his age mayhaps (nigh 52) but maybe late 30s-ish. His feet were a tick slower than his noodle and his hands seemed a bit hesitant. His timing, off. Said hesitancy might very well too, be blamed on the undeniable yet simplistic power of Mr. Smith. Much of the opening round, and the fight for that matter, consisted of Smith plodding after Hopkins with the aforementioned undeniable yet simplistic power. Setting the pace, yes -- but also proving an inability to cut off the ring a la how Kovalev done.

More notes of note along-the-way to The Forum floor almost all happened in the second-round. Smith drilled hard to B-hop's challah-basket and was rewarded by a trademarked Hopkins 'accidental' headbutt. It always was a good investment to hire the best cut-man available whenst up against Hopkins -- and Smith done did-so, in one Mr. "Stitch" Duran.
From there to the culminating eighth, Hopkins did loosen up, get his legs, and set in mainly comfortably -- as at times his 24 years-younger foe seemed a bit flirting with fatigued. Ah, but that eighth and Smith's unanswered half-dozen punch barrage in a neutral corner. "I hit him with four or five [it was six, trust me -- Kap] clean shots, and they were good shots on the button. I came here to do my job. This is my coming-out party too. I had to finish him. It was either my career was going to end and his was going to end, but I needed mine to continue. I'm going to get back in the gym and train hard for my next opponent. I'm up for anything."

Bernard Hopkins later claimed to have been pushed, but reality and its footage don't bear out that claim. "The fighter got hit with a legal punch and went out of the ring and injured himself on the way out," Ref. Jack Reiss said. "He wasn't going to continue. I counted to 20, and he couldn't continue, so the fight is over."

Hopkins: "I injured myself and hit my head first and hurt my ankle. I knew of the 20 seconds, but couldn't stand up on my feet because my ankle was injured. I said I could walk but I couldn't box. I had a choice to make, but I guess the referee made it for me. I know if I hadn't made a mess and gotten knocked out of the ring, I would've come back like I'm known for and would've had my chin." For the record, sir spilled outta the ring and directly onto the back of his bald third fist... I mean head. Things coulda ended a lot worse, gentlepersons.
At the time of the stoppage: 53 seconds into the eighth round, Smith was ahead 69-64 and 67-66, and Hopkins was up 67-66 on the third card. Before ya ask, I had Smith up 67-66 -- unofficially, natch.

Whilst the result was a potentially career-making victory for Smith, I say only potentially because I see him going no further in the Light Heavyweight division with his level of talent and skill-set. It was most definitely a surprising yet surprisingly somehow apt way for Bernard Hopkins to end his storied career. Recalling, gentlepersons, Mills Lane tossing him from the ring vs Robert Allen, as well as the Chad Dawson no-contest.

An undisputed Middleweight champion whom made a record 20 title defenses. A three-time Light Heavyweight titleholder; including twice becoming the eldest fighter to win a world title, at age 46 then 48. Hopkins also holds wins over Felix Trinidad, Oscar de la Hoya, Antonio Tarver, Roy Jones, Jr, and Jean Pascal. This is how he is to be remembered. Too, as a man who very legitimately only ever wanted to push himself to find his exact worth. That worth would buy an era all its own, and one which shall be sorely missed.
If you enjoyed this post, please consider sharing it via the buttons below.
Sharing is a quick, easy, and free way to help me grow my audience.

If you’ve enjoyed a buncha these posts, please consider donating.
PayPal: paypal.me/Kaplowitz
Venmo: @KapKaplowitz

Questions/comments/concerns? Contact me HERE.

Please visit www.CigarsCity.com
Great smokes. Great prices. Great customer service. What’s not to like?

Check out www.JasSumKral.com
Catch the #JSKvirus today. Boutique as pardon my French.

If I might too, give Lucky Leaf a long look. Be Lucky.

Consider, please, joining my Kaplowitz Mishpucha HERE. Too...
like me on Facebook: Have you Kaplowitz’d today?
L'shalom