Saturday, June 25, 2016

Weekly Boxing Review for June 25, 2016 - Macanudo Cafe

Funny thing. Being the incorrigible wisenheimer I is, I took a Macanudo offering to a video interview I had with www.SAVETHELEAF.org -- you see, Save the Leaf is attempting to "make some noise" in the hopes of fending off pending FDA regulations that would wipe out much of the smaller cigar companies and leave us smoking vastly... Macanudos. Anyhoo, I had the Macanudo in my hand, and in my lap, my Chromebook. I Googled for more info re: the stick. One of the top hits was this, my blog. I chuckled. Are you chuckling? I bet ya are. See, I'd already reviewed it in the nascent stages of this here www.kaplowitz.xyz. Funny thing.

As stated elsewhere, I've decided to re-use my own words in an homage to how The Three Stooges used stock footage. As I spoke on the video and smoked the cigar, I took mental notes -- then continued smoking as I read along with my review. Great consistency. I've decided to re-use my own words in an homage to how The Three Stooges used stock footage. Dig? I decided to use parts of the old review within this Weekly Boxing update.

The original Macanudo Cafe write-up can be found HERE in its entirety.

THE CIGAR
Macanudo Cafe Seleccion
Connecticut Shade wrapper
Mexican binder/Dominican filler
5 1/2 x 50 Robusto
CANELO V SMITH TO OCCUR
A nose of grassy hay, light floral perhaps chamomile or feint apple on the wrapper. At the open foot, all that and heartier, with a note of airy leather on a light caramel backing. A cold pull is green herbal with a delicate cinnamon hint. A creaminess lingers but is light and delicate -- sweet, but not sugary. It feels odd to be at the onset of autumn, holding spring in my smoke-hole.

Mr. Liam Smith (23-0-1&13) is quite excited for the opportunity to make a splash on this side of the pond. "I am delighted to get the opportunity to defend my [WBO Jr. Middleweight] world title against the biggest name in world boxing and to headline in the U.S., which is a dream I have had since I started in the sport of boxing. This fight allows me to make my name in the U.S. and show just how good I am, and this is the big stage that will enable me to do that. I am confident of winning this fight and returning to the great city of Liverpool with my belt still around my waist."

Wait. Jr. Middleweight? Didn't Mr. Saul "Canelo" Alvarez (47-1-1&33) weigh an easy 175 come fight night versus Mr. Amir Khan? Doesn't he currently want GGG at 160? Canelo has signed to fight at 154 before, against Alfredo Angulo. Canelo's camp contacted Angulo's two days prior to weigh-in to let them know said weight wasn't gonna be made. Long story short, Team Canelo dropped $100K to Team Angula in order to 'buy back the weight.' Alvarez came in the bigger man, and left having dominated the smaller man. A victory was in no small way, purchased.

While the boxing world demands Canelo meet GGG, it gets this... a lil something no one (perhaps even Mr. Smith) demanded. I do not say a pugilist ducks opponents. I do not say a pugilists acts in cowardice. I do, humsoever say that a pugilist owes certain things to certain fans. Without said fans, where would said pugilist be? Perhaps fighting a knife-wielding monkey in international waters? Perhaps not, but if you disrespect the fans of boxing, you in turn disrespect the sport of boxing. Similarly to how you degrade it whenst handing over your claim to one of its crowns. 

As to the fight, I don't see Canelo either losing, nor hitting this weight. Mr. Smith will be monetarily compensated for getting knocked-out in the mid-rounds a la Mr. Khan. I await anxiously, Canelo's Fall 2017 date with destiny portrayed by Gennady Golovkin. As I wrote re: those pending fisticuffs, Something I failed to mention on the Kibbitz is that the $8.5M Mr. Alvarez has been ordered to pay All-Star Promotions might just be what binds him to his word. It also might be why the stage is set so far in advance -- as he attempts to wiggle outta his financial predicament. In other words, gentlepersons: I don't see this fight against Mr. Golovkin coming to fruition lest Canelo need the moolah. I too spoke more about this and more HERE in a Kibbitz.

The honey deepens its floral notes as the stick heats up. Too, the white pepper builds. A saltiness develops on my palate and is nice as a counterbalance to the sweetness, but not entirely needed, as the white pepper was already employed for that gig. Balance remains, but in a more complex manner -- not a complaint, to be clear.

The tang of a dry white wine is setting in. The floral notes have matured into delineated tart fruits and a very light floral honey that tastes like May -- the month, not the woman. There is some earthiness that reminds me of a field of dandelions like the one at the opening of the Little House on the Prairie TV show. I don’t get much earthiness or nuttiness or pepper at this point. A white bread comes in and out, but even when in, it remains far back.

A note on Liam Smith. He is now being bandied about as a heavy-hitter in this fight's early build-up. He does have the power to keep a fella his size honest -- but Alvarez won't be his size. Plus, to take nothing away from him, 23 wins and 13 by knock-out, don't doth scream "thunderous leather."
PACQUIAO V BRONER IS HALF-ON?
Firstly here Mr. Bob Arum, of Top Rank who represents Mr. Manny Pacquiao (58-6-2&38), has stated that absolutely zero talks have occurred regarding this potential prizefight. Transversely Mr. Oscar de la Hoya, of Golden Boy, who represents Adrien Broner (32-2-0&24) -- insists the fight is on like women's lingerie. Mr. Gomez of Golden Boy has stated he has it on "good authority" that the fight is set for an October pay-per-view. This tentative and somewhat vague date was supposedly set when de la Hoya and Gomez were invited over to Arum's residency and were served fancy Beverly Hills type sammiches, sans crust. They say when you lie, you tend to add unnecessary detail -- but whom's to say, gentlepersons?

The complexities -- some were fleeting and we now have a floral, nearing herbal front with a trace of light honey. Behind that is a grassy hay with a recurring pale nut flavor. A tangy white wine joins in on the finish and is chased by a salty note. Still it lasts long and well into the next draw. As the second act goes forward, the salt arrives sooner and with greater impact. Still mellow, still smooth. Still very much a brunch offering that would work well with a glass of lemonade or yard work.

I'll not get into predicting a bout so uncertain to occur, but it does seems somewhat like 'Pacman' would be doing 'The Problem' the favor of a bigger payday than he'd be privy to elsewhere -- and too, wouldn't have a lot to gain by adding a Broner dismantling to his legacy. On-top of that, there is the danger that Pacquiao continues upon his sloppy decline... and chips away at his own said legacy. Burn remains straight enough. all else re: construction and combustion hold. The burn has mayhap slowed a tad.
FURY V KLITSCHKO II POSTPONED
It strikes me that there is a certain old world grizzle to this offering that I usually find only in fuller-bodied specimen. This is a Jack Lemmon old age, not a Walter Matthau. Lemon? I believe I detect a slight lemongrass…

Just yesterday, gentlepersons (www.kaplowitz.xyz bringing ya yesterday's news today), we learnt of the postponement of July 9th's upcoming Heavyweight Championship Prizefight betwixt former champ Dr. Wladimir Klitschko (64-4-0&53) and current king, the self-moniker'd Gypsy King -- Mr. Tyson Fury (25-0-0&18). It would seem that Mr. Fury turned and injured his left ankle bone ten days ago whilst training... heck, I'll let him tell ya: “Ten days ago, while running in the Lake District, I went over on my ankle and sprained it. I’ve been to the hospital, had X-rays, scans and all that stuff. They said it’s not broken but it’s badly sprained and I should keep off it for six to seven weeks." No re-date has of yet been re-date'd, but that is forthcoming. It has been announced that all purchased tickets will be honored, and that the fisticuffs shall be held at the original venue, The Manchester Arena.

An almost medium honey note whose flowers have now been adorned with heartier blooms. A certain caramel has joined in with the bread which is now lightly toasted. The pepper remains white but warms a bit more, and there is a slight aging of the wood. White wine remains the same and saltiness has dialed back.

At the end of the final act, there is a somewhat inconsistent draw and a pepper that bites a bit sour. The wrapper threatens to unwrap, as well. Too, the strength is elevated to a dead center medium.

K A P L O W I T Z SCALE
K=least; Z=greatest
Appearance W
Construction W
Combustion W
Flavors/Body O
Strength O