Monday, December 7, 2015

Who What When Where Why w/ Fred Rewey of Nomad Cigar Co.

For this installment of Who What When Where Why, I'm giddy as a school girl gentlepersons, to have Fred Rewey of Nomad on the 'tepid seat.' It's only a 'hot seat' if someone cries and I promised myself I would not. Mr. Rewey's offering dominated my latest checklist of Grade A smokes, and it's an honor to have him give lil ol' me the time of day. Too much schmaltz? NEVER.

Without further ado, adon't, and amaybe:

Who has mentored you and who have you mentored? 

I have learned so much from numerous people either directly or indirectly. Avo Uvezian, Eladio Diaz, AJ Fernandez to name a few.

There are many others that have taught me so much without even knowing it - I am kind of creepy stalker(ish) that way.

But seriously, so many great people in this industry helped make me what I am today. When people see you are sincere in learning they often share a wealth of information.

Mentor someone? Me? Despite Nomad’s success, I am still pretty new in the scheme of the world. Course now that you ask that question I feel like I need to give back more in that area. Anyone out there want to know how to hack your way to creating great blends?

What have you compromised and what won’t you compromise? 

I never compromised on tobacco quality or construction. I don’t care how great the marketing, band, or packaging is…if you cut corners on tobacco, all is lost.

I have cut corners on bands (or at least settled). I really would like something a bit nicer but a major designer is big bucks. The same is true of boxes.

I figure you can’t smoke the band or the box…so put the money in the tobacco. :)

When is it a failure? 

When you make a decision that you know in your heart of hearts is wrong. I have seen people do it with new releases..putting them out too soon. Never settle. Ever.

Where are you on your journey and where are you going? 
Why do you succeed?

I am learning every day. I spend over two months in Nicaragua and about a month in Dominican Republic. I think my success is due to three things.

  1. Check the ego at the door. People will always know more than you about tobacco. Keep your mouth closed and learn all you can. Never be afraid to ask questions or experiment.
  2. I have an extensive background in marketing.
  3. Turns out, I have a good palette for blending. 

Again, a big open-mouthed kiss of a thank you to Fred Rewey for taking the time to answer my Who What When Why; and as always and ever, to you dear reader, for just you being you goshed darn it!
Funny, he don't look Cuban...
VISIT: