Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Knob Creek Kentucky Straight Bourbon - Whiskey Review

It's noon thirty, but I woke up early -- so it's practically equivalent to 5 o'clock (somewhere). Time for a whisk(e)y tasting, sirs.

[image missing for I drunk it]

Knob Creek Bourbon attempts at a hearkening back to of pre-prohibition times. This is accomplished most notably by it being bottled at a true to that era 100 proof, and also in it being a nine year barrel inhabitant, the lengthiest aging of any of the other small batch offerings.

That's the nuts and bolts of this homage to a point in time. The facade, or veneer of which, is found in the name itself, which is Honest Abe's self-proclaimed locale of his "First recollection." The label visually bears an aged quality, and is tastefully rustic, as to not offend the white collars amongst their potential buyers. Did that sound cynical?

If not then, I will now: there is a vast 100 year period of time the trend hungry marketing of Knob Creek hopes to cover in the blink of an eye. (From Lincoln in diapers, to flappers in jazz clubs.) I'd consider that to be vulgar and lazy marketing, but I'm also passing 12:30pm off as at least 5pm, so I shall digress.
“This [Knob Creek] is bourbon the way it used to be. The way it was meant to be." - Booker Noe, who seemingly remains unwilling to clarify any particular era. Crap. I'm looking up at a fleuron -- I must have already digressed.

Like the mensch I am, I pour a snootful of the stuff into a mason jar and begin on

The Drink:
Knob Creek
Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
100 Proof
Aged 9 years
Occupation: Rail Splitter

Color:
It (rail)splits the middle here, being at the middle of middle, and I'm surprised at this -- as I was expecting a more robustly full visage akin to a hearty Civil War soldier with creased facial lines at the ripe old age of too young. I have seen both darker and younger bourbons.

The legs, too, were a surprise. Spindly things are they -- not at all indicative of the 100 proof.

Visually, I rate it a feh and do hope this is all made up for in the

Aroma:
Here lies the robust side of Knob Creek, and voluptuously so. It is a heady affair of oak (natch), a sweet vanilla which settles to warm honey citrus as it sits, and resonating in the back is a dried fruit note of dark plum or prune. This heavy handed nod to a stronger point in time comes complete with the nicety of a virtual lack of any nasal burn. My first decent surprise here in dirt floor Hodginville, Kentucky y'all. Did I say that right? Y'all.

Negatively, there is a lack of spice to see to the abundant sweetness -- a lack of balance. This is attributable to the length of cask time, and the therefore soaking up of that essence. Still, I'm a balance kinda guy. I mean, who likes bending over to tie their shoes, and falling over onto their face? My red-cheeked uncle, that's who.

On the bright side, as it sits, cedar notes appear and I get the feeling of cigar box in my schnoz. This feeling comes with wood paneling and over stuffed leather chairs. We are almost mature. Here, pull my finger.

Drats.

Taste:
We're not talking smooth, but we ain't talking burn either. Or not much of one -- a flame nibbles at the tip of my tongue from a somewhat safe distance and departs quickly. It's a very sweet fire with no nuance and a severe lack of maturity for a nine year-old. This fourth grader still longs for kindergarten naps and finger-painting.

There are honey vanilla tendencies that are overpowered by somehow immaturely sweet, sweet yet not luxuriously viscous oak. Prior to finish, there is a caramelized red fruit hint. None are too readily detectable over the sweetness. The lack of warmth gets me, no leathery or toasted grain notes, so to speak. No grounding. No earth.

The tooth of Knob Creek is on par with its visual cues. It's a thinner feel that doesn't coat the tongue as much or for as long as I'd like. It doesn't necessarily fail here, but it doesn't necessarily deliver, either.

In short, it feels cheap.


Finish:
The finish goes from sweet with a hint of orange, to sweet with a hint of simple pepper that borders on metallic, then mellows to vanilla spice and this vanilla spice lives on into warm, nutty oils that very well might be the highlight of this brief affair.

Other than the brief metallic hiccup, this is a very good finish, indeed.


Notes:
A child who doesn't act its age is made to sit in a corner. I cannot recommend this offering over its bottling company's flagship Jim Beam. It's not worthy of its higher price point.

That said, it is serviceable, and Jim Beam might appear as sophomoric gauche to arrive with at a dinner party. My advice would be to either skip the dinner party, or be aware that there are cheaper and  better bourbons all just as readily available.

At home, choose Jim over Knob, if that's your thing.

This won't offend, but again, for its cost, it should have a more lofty goal that that. Knob Creek is more a step up in price, than in quality. Have a placed a fine enough point on that yet?

Final Grade: C+