Saturday, May 23, 2015

Casa de Garcia Nicaraguan Blend - Cigar Review

I have a few late Sabbath hours to murder, so off to my front porch with a stogie and a mobile device to watch some Stooges on. What the heck, I'll do a write-up of 1938's Flatfoot Stooges, too. This will be a LINK to that, upon that's completion.

The Cigar
Casa de Garcia Nicaraguan Blend

I only just recently stumbled across Casa de Garcia and their fine and lint-filled-pocket friendly offerings. As an overview, the entire line should run you a couple bucks a stick. I pay $2.49 for the sheer down-the-block convenience my crook tobacconist offers. CG has a well-deserved reputation as being somewhat akin to Montecristo seconds. The proper way to take that is their wrap is not perfect and their ash, partially thusly, is famously flaky. Nonetheless, they are typically smooth and mellow affairs - even their fuller-bodied offerings, of which we'll be speaking of today.

As with all Nicaraguan blends, the smoke from this stick is heavier and greasier than, say, a Connecticut specimen (which is my regular fare). The mellow smoothness prevails, however, and the inherent greasier leaf makes for somewhat of a tighter ash than is usual for a CG.

Pre-light, the feel makes one aware that this is an everyday caliber cigar, the Crowned Prince of that sect, to be exact. There are veins and roughs, and other imperfections. Since it fits my budget, I like to look at this as character. The smell is very good, heavy and rich - albeit sans complexities. This is a medium to full-bodied cigar, which I mention again because I prefer milder fare, though...

Upon lighting, there are no surprises. The funny thing about "beginner" cigars is that this refers to the taste alone - not the execution of the session itself. These cigars require an intermediate hand, as they are not manufactured well enough to be inherently forgiving to the newbie under/over smokers. They will respond quickly to each nascent trespass and respond equally slowly to fix. Plus, for all your kind nurturing, you can expect, at best, a 3/4" ash.

The chew. I should mention here, that CGs as a whole have a chew par excellence. Sweet, never bitter, and their slightly loose wrapper feels soft and therefore good in your cigar hole. Not yours. Monica.

The first third is a simple continuation of the lighting. Nothing unexpected here. The smoke inhaled is medium, I daresay that thus far, full-bodied would be an overstatement. Already, the burn is charmingly uneven. One noted nicety: the smoke it gives off is pleasant insofar as both volume and aroma. As far as the medium range goes, we're at the low end of the spectrum (read) I am not buzzed, nor do I see a buzz a-comin'. That said, I never do.

The second third introduces aspects that set Gary's House apart from its budgeted brethren. Herein lie leathery notes and somewhat saliva inducing sweet earthiness. A hint of spice, it seems, is just on the horizon. The inhale remains cool and the wrapper, while riddled with character, holds. The stick tightens up a bit and the draw is not as easy now. I have a toothpick, as always, at the ready. It's in the cheap cigar survival kit.

At the final third's onset, I poke three holes in the CG because I prefer a sense of symmetry. Yes, it plugged up on me. A blowout was also needed. As I stated, one must know one's way around these cheap stogies. All part of their charm...the smoke and the smoker's.

Sadly, this offering, although remaining serviceable, dies in the home stretch. Or is this the Firing Line that never really recovered on a sloppy Pimlico track? Either way, you get the gist. This stogie never unfurled. The hints at any upcoming complexities failed to come to fruition and it remained just an everyday option. A very good everyday option, nonetheless.

In short, it is what it is and what it is ain't half bad. I'll gladly chomp another, but for my once a week Sabbath Stick, I'll continue to hold out for a Dortmund, to keep with the pony-playing analogy. To completely beat a dead horse, my handful of yearly American Pharaohs make all of these look rather rudimentary.

Gather up ye, your workingman aplomb and light up this honest stick. Don't expect to be wowed, but bring your own wow instead. Pinkies up, gentlemen! 

It's important to note that the third end of the third end is not hot and right down to the nub, there is smoothness here. Pairings I would suggest include sugary black coffee, a thrift shop three piece suit, and/or a mason jar full of Concord Grape Manischewitz kosher wine.

Final Grade: C+ 
(although, when I hand one out to a chum, I'll swear it's a B-)