Sunday, May 19, 2019

Who, What, When, Where, Why? | Nate McIntyre, Miami Cigar & Company | Interview by Kaplowitz

"Have you Kaplowitz'd to-day?"


Who has mentored you and who have you mentored? 

I’ve never had an official mentor, but certain names come to mind of those who have influenced me big time over the years… 

Alan Buelvas at Oliva for his ardent professionalism, Scott Zucca for his kindness, Donald Waddell at The Cigar Room (Madison, AL) for his love for the industry amidst tons of BS, Manuel Inoa at La Aurora for his passion and open spirit, Jason Wood at MCC for his commitment to team. The list goes on and on.

What have you compromised and what won’t you compromise?  

We all have our regrets, but I can’t lie to a customer. Period. It feels dirty. I just can’t do it.

When is it a failure? 

When you fail to learn from it. Also, we are done learning from a situation when there's no longer a positive contribution to be made.

Where are you on your journey and where are you going? 

When I look back at where I started, it's pretty crazy. Starting in retail, then selling part time with two other jobs, and now working for an amazing company. You never know what the future holds, but I can say that I am grateful for having started at the very bottom because it gives me an appreciation for my current situation. 

There are a lot of people that enter this industry with instant security, etc., and while that would've been nice I am grateful for the perspective that I have gained having started otherwise.

Why do you succeed? 

I think success is pretty easy as long as you are willing to do the stuff that others think that they are too good to do. I succeed as a leader because I'm also a servant. If I'm not willing to do it, I'm not willing to ask others to do it. I'm there till the lights go out.

###

READING LIST:

Nate McIntyre Joins Miami Cigar & Company ((( link ))) (2016, The Cigar Authority)

TPE 2019 Exhibitor Profile: Miami Cigar & Company ((( link ))) (2019, Tobacco Business)

Cigar Interviews by Kaplowitz ((( link ))) [other interviewees]