Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Between the Leaves #3: Shad Bates, Janus Tobak | by Andrew Perelson, Kaplowitz Media Contributor

"Have you Kaplowitz'd to-day?"
"Have you Andrew Perelson'd to-day?"


Between the Leaves #3
by Andrew Perelson

"The dream of Janus Tobak started almost three decades ago when my late father-in-law handed me my first premium cigar. I remember I initially smoked cigars with him because it was an opportunity for him to get to know me, I needed him to like me because I knew his daughter was the one. For 20 years Dale and I smoked cigars and talked. In the small town where I live, he was my primary smoking buddy, ok, my only smoking buddy."

- Shad Bates


My name is Andrew. I have a lot of time on my hands. I write about cigars and I fantasize about buying cigars. In the latter undertaking, I am signed up for alerts and emails from online retailers in order to not "miss out" on the perceived something special they might be offering.

As it turns out, a lot of these purveyors think we are idiots. To pull out some overstocked item or high margin lower quality cigar and put it out as something fabulous is fraudulent. These are the efforts of people carrying P&L statements and inventories through a warehouse -- not lovers of cigars and certainly not lovers of limited production 'boutique' offerings.

Receiving these emails quickly becomes highly disappointing. In my opinion the bigger the site the worse the offender. The only cigar smokers they typically serve are the ones who have purposefully said "these cigars are good enough," or "I don’t have time to hunt for something new and special just give me something I can smoke." This is not why I love cigars. Why I love cigars is the journey which never has to end because there are artisans out there producing so much excellent product.

The first site I found which really fit my independent ethos is the one run by Shad Bates. I decided that I would reach out to him, so I rang him and my call went to voicemail. Right away a call came back from Torrington, Wyoming -- which is as it turns out a very small town near Casper. [which ain't that big neither. -ed.]


We went through the usual introductions, then got right into it. A tiny town of 6,500. 140 miles to the nearest Brick and Mortar. So he opened up a private lounge which now sees its membership tallying twenty. If you're one of that 20, in order to gain access you just give him a buzz on his cell.

He then personally comes, opens up, and of course, hangs out. Additionally, we talk about how he decided to create an eCommerce site, one fashioned as close to the local tobacconist experience as possible. In my opinion, he's done a pretty darn good job of that with Janus.

Janus is the Roman god of new beginnings and Shad loved the connection of looking to the future while remembering the past. As a start, he felt that single cigar sales were being ignored by the big boys and he would gladly handle the solo smoke patron.

Additionally, he wanted there to be no charge for shipping. He also saw how challenging the industry was and how badly the others were handling the time from order to shipment. He set a company rule that all cigars go out the next day and are all properly packed with a little gift and personal note.

As a matter of fact, Shad answers all emails himself and tries to have personal relationships with as many customers as possible. The strategy for this approach was to provide surprising satisfaction so that their initial solo stick purchase would grow into five or more.


Moreover, as you will see with a visit to the site he has a great selection of boutiques and has made an effort to buy directly from the owners and makers and have relationships with them, as well. These owners, in turn, admire Shad’s attitude towards his customers and his dedication to running a special kind of website.

The hallmark of Shad's online venture is their Cigar of the Month Club -- arguably one of the very best out there. It is small and exclusive with 200 members and a sizable waiting list. Shad networks to get as many first release cigars and the top rated ones of a brand. He also dares to introduce people to lesser-known companies and because the members trust his tastes, they get to learn of and enjoy something new.

He tells of a story of Pete Hassell Johnson making calls himself to his Director of Production to fill an inventory gap necessary to include something really special in a monthly mailer. With this said, I am hoping this article somehow wins a Pulitzer [do they give those to editors? -ed.] so that I can jump the line. Or perhaps I can simply convince Shad I am a long lost cousin.

Regardless, I thoroughly enjoyed speaking to Shad. The 20 guys who get to smoke with him in Wyoming must have a blast.


#KM
Twitter
YouTube

Keep me going.
Keep me GROWING.
Donate HERE via PayPal.
Shop for K/M merch HERE.