Thursday, May 11, 2017

Terence Crawford vs Felix Diaz w/ Shakur Stevenson Undercard Preview

We're not yet mid-ways through boxing's Year of our L-rd 2017, and ain't it been a doozy, gentlepersons? Ain't we deserved it, gentlepersons? The year-to-year feast-to-famine pendulum hath done swung and won't ya please pass the Alka-Seltzer? The next course shall be served May 20th at Madison Square Garden, the mother of all boxing venues, whenst Mr. Terence Crawford's (30-0, 21 KO) WBC and WBO World Super Lightweight crowns are challenged for by the 2008 Olympic gold medalist Mr. Felix Diaz (19-1, 9 KO).

Crawford, my reigning numero dos pound-for-pound pug, had himself a lovely 2016, beating Misters Hank Lundy, Viktor Postol, and John Molina. All whilst showing a talent which comes along none too often coupled with a mean streak which puts him atop the vaulted Vasyl Lomachenko in my books. 

Diaz is no slouch either, as already mentioned and widely known, he is an Olympic gold medalist with flashes of brilliance hither and thither all his own; yet somewhat dimmer and further twixt than Crawford's. He has fought somewhat sparingly since turning pro in the Super Lightweight and Welterweight divisions, touting victories over Adrian Granados and Sammy Vasquez. His sole loss coming via Lamont Peterson and a scorecard some disagreed with.

This is a bout which Diaz hath long wanted and was quite vocal in pursuing, particularly after Crawford blew it off to fight Molina in December. Diaz then stayed busy in his Dominican home, handling well one Mr. Levis Morales by dispatching him in the sixth stanza. Now, Lou DiBella done finally got his man the fight. Said DiBella: "Felix Diaz is an Olympic gold medalist, a seasoned professional and the best fighter Terence Crawford has ever fought. We have been chasing this fight for a year because Felix and our team believe we can win. The fans will win when they see a terrific, competitive fight on May 20th.”

I'd say he's more-so all that than Lundy and Molina; that's what I'll give. He will definitely push Crawford some, but ultimately I feel we have here two differing levels of Sweet Science practitioners. I hold my predictive tongue a bit, saving it for a tick perhaps Boxing City Podcast later, but yes -- differing levels. Couple this with September's Canelo - Golovkin plans, and we soon shall have a clearer if not crystal clear view of prize fighting's upper echelon.
Fighting on the undercard is Mr. Shakur Stevenson (1-0, 0KO), when he takes on Carlos Gaston Suarez (6-3-2, 1KO) near Stevenson's Newark hometown, and first proposed site for the card. 

"He's charming, he's got charisma, he's intelligent. And we know he's talented. He's the whole package, and he's extraordinarily mature for a 19-year-old kid. My matchmakers say he's a major, major boxing talent, and I feel I can judge whether he has charisma and marketability and I believe he does .. I think this kid can be the next American superstar. He's still learning and he's still growing, but he's got everything. His power will develop. He's already very fast. This kid has the ability to be like another Sugar Ray Leonard." Says hyperbolic Top Rank head honcho Arum, whom also guided Leonard.

In Stevenson's premier April go at a row, he was impressive in defeating Mr. Edgar Brito -- as far as that goes. Still, perhaps it's the burgeoning old man in me, looking to unfurl in shouts of "GET OFF MY LAWN" -- but he looked like a kid. I was astounded at his youthfulness whenst I saw the weigh-in. Though some teeth were shown when needed, as Brito got in his space. Still, many sports have rules that an athlete must be so many years removed from high school... still, didn't Canelo lace 'em up at 15? Young Master Stevenson won't be tested here, perhaps less so than his first outing, and I do find my old bones creaking out an applause in his general direction. Sans the Leonard hyperbole, he doth do seem to carry the touted goods. I will say I woulda liked seeing him eat some home cooking instead of fighting across the country outta the gate. Well, look at the time. I think I'll make me a peanut butter sammich. Creamy. Crunchy hurts my teeth.

Good stuff ahead, gentlepersons.