Tuesday, August 30, 2016

AJ Fernandez Enclave - Cigar Review

B"H
INTRO
Tonight, gentlepersons, I am off to the old ballgame.

THE CIGAR
AJ Fernandez Enclave
7 x 52 Churchill Closed-foot
w. Habano Rosado
b. Cameroon
f. Nicaraguan (including a proprietary Piloto Cubano)

Sample courtesy of Cigars City.
K A P L O W I T Z SCALE
K least, Z most
Construction W
Combustion W
Flavors W
Body O
Strength L
&
Sweet W
Sour W
Salty A
Bitter O
Umami P
&
Complexity L
Nuance W
Transition
Balance I
Smoothness I
&
Animal A
Spicy P
Woody O
Vegetal W
Earthy W
Chemical K
SUMMATION
Somewhat acidic and bordering on bitey in the 3/3. Less rich and full than I'd hoped; particularly after the second half. Balanced, but in a rather dull sense of the word. No true transitions. Flavors are nuanced, but never dance with one another to build complexities. Bittersweet finish on medium+ legs with an again acidic lilt. Mouth-feel is a bit spitty. Post finish is clean 'nuff. 

Chocolate, light and vegetal, like a carob note. Cedar. White pepper. Cream, toasted. Cinnamon, Apple cider. Sweet spices. Yeasty bread. Coffee. Earth, rich. Peat vibe. Floral, white. Red dessert wine. Salt, roasted. Aromatic woodsy tobacco. Texture is smooth, but gets a tick throaty via progression.

Draw is a tick tighter than I like and I like a tick tight, but opens some after the initial third. Top-leaf bulges and cracks at the secondary band -- simply cracks at the primary... but all is smoked thru well. Smoke out-put is average+ off each end, smoke-hole feels a half-tick less than satiated at times. Ash is flaky and oft drops (cue schmatta). For a 52rg, this Enclave seems a bit of a jaw-breaker. In closing, I shall close post-this: I believe AJ's issue with the Connecticut wrappers, which I have mentioned in the past and now mention knowing full well this ain't, is an underlining issue with subtlety. Many of this master blender's offerings simply fall well outside of my wheelhouse. 

SMOKE TIME
115mins

FINAL GRADE
****B****
OUTRO
GO EMS!!! Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jacks... or booze... or smokes. PayPal @nsk57033. Daddy needs a new pair o' everything.

L'shalom