Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Project X: Offering #1* - Blind Review (Matilde Oscura)

I removed the band with the # between 12&14 writ on it. Kayn aynhoreh!
'Natch by now, I will break down flavors into categories as you will see below. I then shall note any flavor which arises. Too, I will grade according to my K A P L O W I T Z Scale guidelines. This all shall be noted and notated at every 1/2 (due to a slow rolling out of this offering's offerings).

I will then offer a final grade ruling. THEN, on ye next Radio Herf (check yer local listings), Mr. Darryl Martin shall reveal what it is that I reviewed. We'll kibbitz 'bout it.

Blind review, yes? Oh, yes. Blind review.

THE CIGAR
*classified*
Dark Corona
DECLASSIFIED
Matilde Oscura
5 1/2 x 44 Corona
Mexican San Andres wrapper
Sumatra binder
Dominican, Nicaraguan, and USA fillers
ACT I

FLAVORS
Animal: Venison (slight). Musk.
Sweet: Blackberry. Caramelized sugar. Creamy. Honey. Vanilla. Dried fruit.
Spicy: White pepper. Black pepper. Salt. Licorice/anise (finish). Cloves. Orange peel. Cinnamon.
Woody: Dark roasted coffee. Cedar. Toasted. Aromatic tobacco. Dust.
Vegetal: Floral. Herbs. Nuts, roasted. Mushroom.
Earthy: Chicken coup. Peat. Manure.

K A P L O W I T Z SCALE
Appearance I
Construction T
Combustion I
Flavors/Body O
Strength A

NOTES

  • Takes a bit to develop and delineate.
  • Peppers first, then more. More!
  • Great ash grower.
  • Nice pace. Very fine c/c.
  • Flavors keep piling on after sluggish opening gambit.
  • Ash is dark, but well-formed.
  • Musk and dust halt delineating a tick near the mid-point.
  • Finish is medium leg'd, quite smoky yet clean. Interesting notes/vibes there.
  • Burn ribbons but a mere half a tick.
  • Seems a nice 'economical' offering.
  • Coffee and cream meet up -- really cowboy up. Brings fruit w/ it.
  • Peppers dial far back.

ACT II

FLAVORS
Animal: Venison (slight). Musk. Gamey.
Sweet: Caramelized sugar. Creamy. Honey. Vanilla. Dried fruit (vibe). Buttery. Molasses.
Spicy: White pepper. Black pepper. Salt. Cloves. Orange peel (less). Cinnamon. Nutmeg.
Woody: Dark roasted coffee. Cedar (chars). Toasted. Aromatic tobacco. Charred/burnt.
Vegetal: Floral. Herbs. Nuts, roasted. Mushroom.
Earthy: Chicken coup. Peat. Manure. Musty/old cellar.
Chemical: Charcoal.

K A P L O W I T Z SCALE
Appearance I
Construction T
Combustion I
Flavors/Body O
Strength L

NOTES

  • Palate is a bit scratchy.
  • Very coffee. Fruit down-ticks; still is a player, playah.
  • Musk flexes. Charcoal is in. Dust hides. Licorice hides, too.
  • Cream toasts.
  • Saddle/shoe leather.
  • Tres musk/gamey/musty. On room-note, too. I likey.
  • Smell/taste of an old Vegas motel. I likey.
  • Palate soothed with butter.
  • Fruits all but drop off, except from on immediate draw.
  • Strength up-ticks as a sir.
  • Burn-line thicks two ticks, but I nit-pick. It is 99.4% dead-even.
  • Great buttery mouth-feel.
  • Honey notches up. Molasses? Yes. Both.
  • Right at the band, a small crack in the top-leaf wonks burn a bit.
  • Always clean, finishes cleaner -- musk/dusk/gamey lets a ray of light through.
  • Prune hamantaschen? Where's my grogger???


My favorite Project X offering as of yet! I'd smoke this every single day -- twice on the Sabbath.

SMOKE TIME
75mins(approx)

FINAL GRADE
****A****

REMEMBER: Tune into the next Radio Herf (check local listings) for the reveal.
POSTSCRIPT: In the interest of uniformity, I will be working from a flavor chart via Stogie Fresh.
J/k I ALWAYS know where my grogger is.
"Born on Purim, but not last Purim."