Saturday, March 26, 2016

Project X: Offering #8 - Blind Review (Drew Estate Herrera Esteli)


PROLOGUE
'Natch by now, I will break down flavors into categories as you will see below. I then shall note any flavor which arises. Too, I will grade according to my K A P L O W I T Z Scale guidelines. This all shall be noted and notated at every 1/2 in lieu of 1/3 (as this is a cute lil shorty).

I will then offer a final grade ruling. THEN, on ye next Radio Herf (check yer local listings), Mr. Darryl Martin shall reveal what it is that I reviewed. We'll kibbitz 'bout it.

Blind review, yes? Oh, yes. Blind review.

THE CIGAR
*classified*
"Rather Dark Robusto-sh"
5 1/4 x 52(?)
DECLASSIFIED
Drew Estate Herrera Esteli
5 1/4 by 52 "Robusto Extra"
Ecuadorian Habano wrapper
Honduran binder
Nicaraguan filler
ACT I

FLAVORS
Animal: Roasted meat.
Sweet: Black cherry. Chocolate/cocoa. Molasses. Blackberry. Creamy. Vanilla.
Spicy: Black pepper. Licorice/anise. Orange peel. Salt. White pepper
Woody: Wine cask. Toasted. Cedar.
Vegetal: Floral (vibe).
Earthy: Espresso. Heavy tobacco.
Chemical: Charcoal.

K A P L O W I T Z SCALE
K being the least, Z the greatest
Appearance W
Construction I
Combustion W
Flavors/Body T
Strength L

NOTES
Very robust toasting notes.
Perfect draw resistance IMO (medium+)
Lotsa body.
Flavors hit right outta gate. BOOM.
Burn needed some Djeep finagling out of the gate.
Very distinct blackberry note on finish.
Very heavily toasted cream driven by cedar.
Pretty ash, wavy burn.
Chocolate soars and pulls some nice dark fruit along.
Nice smoke out-put. Verily.
Some tough clumps in ash.
Quick pacing, or maybe I'm being greedy with pulls. 
ACT II

FLAVORS
Sweet: Black cherry. Chocolate/cocoa. Molasses. Blackberry. Creamy. Buttery. Dried fruit.
Spicy: Black pepper. Licorice/anise. Orange peel. Salt. White pepper
Woody: Wine cask. Toasted. Cedar. Hickory wood.
Earthy: Espresso. Heavy tobacco. Barnyard.
Chemical: Charcoal (less).

K A P L O W I T Z SCALE
Appearance I
Construction T
Combustion I
Flavors/Body Z
Strength W

NOTES
"Wow," sez I.
Flavors deepen and evolve. 
Strength ticks up.
Room note smells like a coffee house/chocolate shoppe.
Not much midway transitioning, but I ain't kvetching.
Preemptively re-touch burn.
Some thinning of profile.
Gorgeous construction.
Black pepper subdues. As does fruit. Balanced mellowing.
ACT III

FLAVORS
Sweet: Black (less) cherry. Chocolate/cocoa. Molasses. Creamy. Buttery. Coffee & Cream
Spicy: Black pepper. Salt. White pepper.
Woody: Toasted. Cedar. Hickory wood. Oak. Aromatic tobacco.
Earthy: Espresso. Heavy tobacco. Barnyard. Manure. Musty/old cellar.
Malt: Chocolate.

K A P L O W I T Z SCALE
Appearance W
Construction I
Combustion I
Flavors/Body I
Strength O

NOTES
Malt hits Chocolate/cocoa. Creamier, too.
Top-leaf cracks ahead of burn.
Addition via subtraction re: flavors.
Burn slows.
Crack gets smoked through [insert Whitney Houston joke].
Finish cleans up (never drrrty).
Very complex here.
Increasingly earthy and woody.
More cream.
Peppers are quite soft and fine. Sauteed.
Cherry cordial.
Mellows nicely.
Ash browns a tick.
Smoke cool to the band.

SMOKE TIME
75mins

FINAL GRADE
****A****

REMEMBER: Tune into the next Radio Herf (check local listings) for the reveal.
POSTSCRIPT: In the interest of uniformity, I will be working from a flavor chart via Stogie Fresh.