Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Project X: Offering #7 - Blind Review (Drew Estate Liga Privada T52)


'Natch by now, I will break down flavors into categories as you will see below. I then shall note any flavor which arises. Too, I will grade according to my K A P L O W I T Z Scale guidelines. This all shall be noted and notated at every 1/3.

I will then offer a final grade ruling. THEN, on ye next Radio Herf (check yer local listings), Mr. Darryl Martin shall reveal what it is that I reviewed. We'll kibbitz 'bout it.

Blind review, yes? Oh, yes. Blind review.

THE CIGAR
*classified*
"6 x 54(?) Yellow/Brown"
DECLASSIFIED
Drew Estate
Liga Privada T52
6 x 52 Toro
Connecticut Stalk Cut & Cured Sun Grown Habano wrapper
Brazilian Mata Fina binder
Honduran & Nicaraguan fillers
ACT I

FLAVORS
Animal: Smoked meat. Manure.
Sweet: Molasses. Toffee. Caramelized sugar. Black cherry.
Spicy: Black Pepper. Chili pepper. Cinnamon. Mulling Spice.
Woody: Charred/burnt. Oak Wood. Paper. Mesquite wood.
Vegetal: Floral. Herbs. Nuts, roasted.
Earthy: Espresso.
Malt: Chocolate. Rye.

K A P L O W I T Z SCALE
K being the least, Z the greatest
Appearance W
Construction I
Combustion I
Flavors/Body I
Strength P

NOTES
Clean & complex finish.
Lotsa smoke
Darkly sweet.
Espresso note is crema-heavy.
Rib-eye steak w/ Cordial Cherry side.
Smooth, even draw.
Well-trained notes.
Wide and full landscape.
Quickish pacing.
ACT II

FLAVORS
Animal: Smoked meat.
Sweet: Molasses. Caramelized sugar. Sugar. Black cherry. Vanilla. Fresh fruit.
Spicy: Black Pepper. Chili pepper. Cinnamon. Mulling Spice. Nutmeg.
Woody: Charred/burnt. Oak Wood. Mesquite wood. Cedar wood.
Vegetal: Floral. Herbs. Nuts, raw.
Earthy: Espresso. Peat. Heavy tobacco.
Chemical: Astringent.
Malt: Chocolate (more).

K A P L O W I T Z SCALE
Appearance O
Construction W
Combustion I
Flavors/Body I
Strength L

NOTES
Spices all saute together in clarified butter.
Slight astringent twang smell/taste. Purging clears.
Nougat vibe.
Slightly arid mouth-feel.
Burn wonks. (No re-touch.) (Self-corrects w/ care.)
Smoky smoky foot and smoke-hole.
Darker nuts added.
(Cherry) cola vibe.
Slight re-touch.
Very nice room-note.
Burn-line requires some att'n, if not action.
Dark yet unweighted notes.
ACT III

FLAVORS
Animal: Roasted meat.
Sweet: Molasses. Black cherry. Fresh Fruit. Coffee and Cream. Chocolate/cocoa
Spicy: Black pepper. Cinnamon (subdued), Nutmeg. Orange peel.
Woody: Charred/burnt. Cedar Wood. Toasted.
Vegetal: Floral. Citrus. Nuts, roasted.
Earthy: Peat. Heavy tobacco. Espresso (left, came back)
Malt: Chocolate.

K A P L O W I T Z SCALE
Appearance O
Construction W
Combustion I
Flavors/Body I
Strength L

NOTES
Draw tightens a tick.
Darker nuts roasted.
Bread returns, sans rye malt.
Barley/cereal note.
Smoke-hole filling thins.
Finish cleans up even more.
Smoke gets bluish hue-ish.
More carbonation in cherry cola, Lola.
Chocolate pours soars and explores.
Can you make an egg cream with cherry cola, Lola?

SMOKE TIME
125mins.

FINAL GRADE
****n/a****
Tune into Radio Herf for further discussion!
(What can rightly differentiate a B+ from A-)

REMEMBER: Tune into the next Radio Herf (check local listings) for the reveal.
POSTSCRIPT: In the interest of uniformity, I will be working from a flavor chart via Stogie Fresh.