Saturday, March 19, 2016

Project X: Offering #6 - Blind Review (Drew Estate Nica Rustica)


'Natch by now, I will break down flavors into categories as you will see below. I then shall note any flavor which arises. Too, I will grade according to my K A P L O W I T Z Scale guidelines. This all shall be noted and notated at every 1/3.

I will then offer a final grade ruling. THEN, on ye next Radio Herf 03202016 (check yer local listings), Mr. Darryl Martin shall reveal what it is that I reviewed. We'll kibbitz 'bout it.

Blind review, yes? Oh, yes. Blind review.

THE CIGAR
*classified*
Pig-tail, closed foot
Drew Estate
Nica Rustica
El Brujito 6 x 52 Toro
Connecticut Broadleaf wrapper
Mexican Binder
Nicaraguan filler
ACT I

FLAVORS
Sweet: Chocolate/cocoa. Coffee & Cream. Creamy. Dried fruit. Bittersweet.
Spicy: Black pepper. Cloves. White pepper.
Woody: Oak. Cedar. Wine cask.
Vegetal: Hay, wet. Nuts, raw.
Earthy: Chicken coup. Peat.
Chemical: Mineral

K A P L O W I T Z SCALE
K being the least, Z the greatest
Appearance W
Construction I
Combustion W
Flavors/Body O
Strength K

NOTES
Closed foot is not completely closed.
Woods are sweet.
Very smooth.
Notably excellent draw and construction.
Sweet a pleasant, not as desert.
Uncomplicated but welcoming.
Burns unevenly. Re-touch (no 'points' deducted. First one's free.)
Pillowy notes.
Peppers mount a we progress. The subdue.
Shift at end from coffee to fruit focus....
ACT II

FLAVORS
Sweet: Fresh fruit (more). Dried fruit (Less). Black cherry. Creamy. Vanilla. Chocolate/cocoa.
Spicy: Cloves. White Pepper. Cinnamon. Nutmeg.
Woody: Wine cask.
Vegetal: Nuts, raw. Hay, dry. Bell pepper.
Earthy: Chicken coup. Espresso. Moss.
Chemical: Mineral.

K A P L O W I T Z SCALE
K being the least, Z the greatest
Appearance I
Construction I
Combustion I
Flavors/Body W
Strength A

NOTES
...Then coffee catches back up.
Wood fall off a great deal.
Juicy fruit notes.
Slow, even burn. Ribbon'd line.
Let's go with "undemanding" over "simple." Enjoyable.
Flavor thin out. More un-played notes. Played notes get crisper.
Cadbury Fruit & Nut Bar w/ can of Coke.
Tea hits the fruit notes.
Sticking to chart is hard with this one. Spices in particular.
(Will talk about it on Radio Herf. [Produce, juiced].)
Cola fizz vibe.
Smoke out-put thins a bit.
Tangy mouth-feel. Great moisture.
Liquid flavor notes.
Coffee Soda.
ACT III

FLAVORS
Sweet: Blackberry. Fresh Fruit. Creamy (less) Chocolate/cocoa.
Spicy: Cloves. Cinnamon. Nutmeg. (Peppers discussed on Radio Herf.)
Woody: Wine cask. Cedar.
Vegetal: Citrus. Hay, dry. Bell pepper.
Earthy: Peat. Espresso. Moss.


K A P L O W I T Z SCALE
K being the least, Z the greatest
Appearance
Construction
Combustion
Flavors/Body
Strength

NOTES
Slow, slow burner.
Fizzy, liquid delivery.
Smoke out-put goes up a tick past its previous zenith.
Exceptionally broad landscape.
Bourbon vibe.
Draw is a bit uneven.
Brown sugar (not on chart).
Hay is lone dryness.
Burn stray a bit. (Re-touch.)
FINAL GRADE
****A-****
(Was up for a bit as an A. Missed keystroke. Meant A-. Whoopsie.)

REMEMBER: Tune into the next Radio Herf (check local listings) for the reveal.
POSTSCRIPT: In the interest of uniformity, I will be working from a flavor chart via Stogie Fresh.

POST POSTSCRIPT: I'll have a lot to say about this one on Radio Herf 03202016. I felt quite hampered by the chart.