Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Project X: Offering #5 - Blind Review (Cu-Avana Punisher Shorty)


'Natch by now, I will break down flavors into categories as you will see below. I then shall note any flavor which arises. Too, I will grade according to my K A P L O W I T Z Scale guidelines. This all shall be noted and notated at every 1/2 in lieu of 1/3 (as this is a cute lil shorty).

I will then offer a final grade ruling. THEN, on ye next Radio Herf (check yer local listings), Mr. Darryl Martin shall reveal what it is that I reviewed. We'll kibbitz 'bout it.

Blind review, yes? Oh, yes. Blind review.

THE CIGAR
*classified*
"Short Fat"
Cu-Avana Punisher
Shorty Edition 4 1/2 x 60
Habano wrapper
Nicaraguan binder/filler

ACT I

FLAVORS 
Sweet:  Dried fruit. Vanilla. Chocolate/cocoa.
Spicy: Black Pepper. Cinnamon. Licorice/anise. Cloves. Ginger.
Woody: Cedar. Dark roast coffee.
Vegetal: Nuts, roasted. Floral.
Earthy: Espresso. Dirt/earth.

K A P L O W I T Z SCALE
K being the least, Z the greatest
Appearance T
Construction T
Combustion I
Flavors/Body W
Strength L

NOTES
Cedar is fruity.
Quite tingly mouth-feel.
Kinda dry and stiff.
Sharp burn, a but wavy.
Solid construction. Almost unyieldingly so.
Lots of space between the notes. A bit airy.
Spice fills in the wholes and threatens (but don't) to kill nuances of notes.
Very interest menu items, playing in interesting ways.
Clean finish.
Burn: dead even.
Some notes (throughout) seem missed. Off-the-mark.
ACT II

FLAVORS
Sweet: Dried fruit. Chocolate/cocoa.
Spicy: Black pepper. Cinnamon. Cloves. Ginger.
Woody: Cedar. Dark roast coffee. Hickory. Mesquite.
Vegetal: Nuts, roasted (less). Floral (dried). Smoke.
Earthy: Espresso. Dirt/earth (chars lightly).

K A P L O W I T Z SCALE
K being the least, Z the greatest
Appearance T
Construction I
Combustion W
Flavors/Body I
Strength I

NOTES
Apple. & apple core. Apple wood?
Strength jumps up. (Then again near band)
Burn quickens.
Draw tightens a tick.
Fruity cedar/spice playings are strange.
Nice char note.
Strong notes, but not robust.
Delivery is almost to mechanical, daresay soulless. 
Delineation is enforced with barbed wire.
German efficiency comes to mind.
CLEAN FINISH.
Little bit of a headache.
Gets a bit hot-to-handle at band.
Draw gets warm.
Gets fun.
Smoke intensifies out-put (was already smoky).
Strength goes airborne in 2/2. Notes seem lighter.
Vertical field. Can't type. Send help. Mom?

Mom?

FINAL GRADE
****B+****

REMEMBER: Tune into the next Radio Herf (check local listings) for the reveal.
POSTSCRIPT: In the interest of uniformity, I will be working from a flavor chart via Stogie Fresh.