Thursday, March 17, 2016

#CigarLiberty


Gentlepersons,

Perhaps you've already seen this image making the rounds on social media. Perhaps you are seeing it for the first time now. Whatever the case, I wanted to take a moment (and I will again on the next Sabbath Smoker) to discuss what myself and Dr. Gaby Kafie of Kafie Cigars have envisioned with this, our nascent movement.

That stated, what you read herein are my words, not the good doctor's. I do not pretend to speak on his behalf here but for myself alone. Dr. Kafie is a sharply articulate man, who will freely and graciously speak his mind and answer any questions which you, Dear Reader, might have.

By now I do so hope you have heard our special edition Radio Herf in which we discussed looming FDA sanctions with Mr. Glenn Loope of Cigar Rights of America. If you have not, please listen to it HERE; upon completion of this posting. I do admire Mr. Loope for his vigorous defense of our rights as premium tobacco hobbyists and industry folk. I do hope you follow his advice and become a member of CRA today

However, is that all that can be done? What of our individual voices as Americans? This is where #CigarLiberty comes in. Do we sign a check and wait patiently whilst others fight, or do we at least attempt to be heard ourselves? What of grassroot movements? Our age of social media must come in handy for something beyond sharing pictures of our meals, dank memes, and making sure our acquaintances know when we're at the gym. FYI: the offices of our elected representatives have social media accounts.

I shall clearly give you now, gentlepersons, a direct course of action.

1. Download the picture above and share it on whichever and any/all platforms you frequent. Add the hashtag #CigarLiberty.

2. Copy and paste the following and place it on the page of, or tag from your page, your particular representative:

PLEASE EXEMPT PREMIUM CIGARS FROM FDA REGULATION. FAMILY OWNED BUSINESSES WILL BE DESTROYED. #HR622 #S441 #CIGARLIBERTY

That was easy, yes? Yes. Maybe think of doing it to them all. At the bottom of this post there will be a link where you can find your, and everyone else's, representative. 

I'd like to thank Dr. Kafie for his work in creating the above image, and now that I've perhaps needlessly reiterated what is clearly contained therein, spiral on into my own further thoughts on the matter.
I have stated my thankfullnesses to Mr. Loope and his work with and via Cigar Rights of America. I shall continue to do so. Did you know, humsoever, that boutique cigar companies are unrepresented on the CRA board of directors? Larger entities are fully represented, yes -- but not the artisan fellas we 'conasewers' enjoy so very much. When dealing with this board and with over-reaching government machinations, and I mean no ill will to the bigger boys et al, who is to say that CRA won't appease them to the fullest of their abilities and to a far lesser extent, far smaller boutique manufacturers/non board-members? This is the way of the world, and not at all a knock on anyone. Well, perhaps the world.

Follow me, though, and please. If it is a matter of essentially giving smaller companies more of a financial burden than they can bear via taxation, etc. -- are we not allowing larger companies the potential ability to purchase a monopoly via their deeper pockets? If only the 'fat cats' can absorb the financial stresses which are being bandied about -- and they alone sit on/control the board -- are they going to look out for the 'skinny cats' and their interests; or opt to do away with competition? It is, again, not meant as condemnation. It is simply meant as food for thought, and to high-light the importance of our endeavor here.

Simply put, we the masses need a way to be heard, or at least grow hoarse in trying. Or maybe make our widdle fingers sore. We are helping ourselves, the brands we love, and CRA itself, in doing so.

Now that I have risked making powerful foes and far less powerful friends, please allow me to place this cyanide capsule securely in my smoke-hole and make good with the links I promised so very long ago now.

HERE is where you can find your local and state representatives.
HERE is where you can find the social media pages of your, and all, representatives.

Oy vey, I wonder who's knocking on my door at this late of an hour...

Best,

Kap

Postscript: "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." 
- Gen. Patton

****EDITOR'S NOTE****
It was just now (3/18) brought to my attention that I failed to mention pipe smokers in the above posting. Brothers of the Briar are our premium tobacco brethren, and as such are greatly welcomed in our movement. My sincerest apologies, folks.