Thursday, January 28, 2016

Who What When Where Why w/ Shiah Goldberg of Kafie 1901 Cigars

"Oh, I know how this works. This is where Kap asks the same five questions of Cigar Industry folk." You.
"Yeah." Me. "But first --"
"A flourish!"
"Yeah."
Who has mentored you and who have you mentored?

There have been too many mentors in my life to mention here so I'll key in on the primary and industry related ones. First and foremost my father. In addition to the being greatest influence on the type of man I strive to be, he also had the most significant impact on my professional aspirations. He is a huge proponent of "Focus on what you love and what brings you joy, everything else follows that." If I was forced to choose a personal mantra this would be the one. My dad is also the hardest working man I've ever known which is made easier through his embodiment of this philosophy.

I've had the tremendous opportunity of working closely with several brand owners at varying levels of the cigar industry as well as working on the retail end in nearly all roles. Oneida, Enrique, Carlos and Alex Diez of Reyes Family Cigars are a family with generations of tobacco experience. Carlos has spent more than half of his young life in the industry, most of which at the side of Rolando Reyes Sr, his grandfather, one of the greatest cigar makers in history. It's an honor to be able to work under a roof that stems from those roots. The family takes a very traditional approach to cigars and fine tobacco and I greatly respect that.

Dr. Gaby Kafie, owner of Kafie 1901 Cigars, is the perfect combination of the prior two influences. He possesses a love for both the business and the craft of cigars paired with a respect for the history and traditions of the Reyes family and other tobacco greats that keeps him humble, hungry and studious. Gaby is also a close friend and one of my first in the industry. He takes a very precise approach to business and to education. I can genuinely say I learn from him each day.

When I was still on the retail end of the industry, I had a customer (whom I typically suggested cigars to) hand me a stick that I simply had to try. This particular patron called me "The Cigar Matchmaker." Usually he would tell me how many cigars he wanted for the week and I'd hand him a sampling of brands, blends and vitolas. My success rate is what earned me the nickname. On this day the roles reversed and the cigar I "simply had to try" was the Kafie 1901 Don Fernando Maduro and man was he ever right. I called Dr. Kafie and we spoke while I enjoyed the second half of the Robusto. By then end of the stick and the conversation, I had a new friend and a new addition to my weekly rotation. Gaby was at my shop the following day and within weeks his line was a best seller in the store. All I did was introduce my patrons to the line; the cigars did all the heavy lifting.

Another boutique cigar brand owner and friend, Michael Catalano of Catelli Cigars, was the key to my transition from the retail to the supplier side of the industry. Catelli was a top-selling brand in the store and our friendship was one that was built around sharing a moment with a great cigar. The Catelli line is made at the La Zona factory so I was able to meet the majority of that family as well, one that is pouring over with talented quality people. Michael was the first guy to get behind me when I stated my desire to learn the other side of the business. It was an incredible opportunity to be able to start with a brand I respected.
What have you compromised and what won’t you compromise?

I am not willing to compromise my character nor my personal philosophy.

I do my best to keep a balance in life. I try not to let any one aspect consume all time or energy and I remain conscious of that. Aside from that, I compromise when necessary for my goals and to fulfill my commitments. Small business is one that requires great dedication and the occasional sacrifice, but it pays dividends. I wouldn't choose to be anywhere else.
When is it a failure?

With each failure comes a lesson well learned. To me, the only real failure is when nothing is learned from one's mistakes.
Where are you on your journey and where are you going?

Kap, brother, thank you for this question. This is going on my board in the office and I will be asking myself this very question each morning.

Today, I am just barely at the beginning. My love affair with cigars and fine tobacco is nearing its 20 year anniversary but I've only combined that with my professional career since 2011. During the past four years my passion has grown exponentially. I've learned and achieved much in that time but I am aware that I have almost everything ahead of me and a lifetime to spend perfecting it. I aim to continue to be an integral part of the success and growth of the companies I am tied to and to forge new friendships and partnerships with tobacconists, aficionados and hobbyists alike, for decades to come.
Why do you succeed?

I had the secret decoder ring! I learned two of life's greatest lessons at an early age.

  1. Spend your life doing what you love and everything else will follow.
  2. Treat everyone you meet as if they are a guest at a party in your own home.

It just so happens that the business I intend to spend the rest of my years pursuing is one in which both of these rules greatly apply. Ours is primarily a relationship business and as it should be clear by now, it's one that I love. I spend each day making new friendships and strengthening existing ones.

Cigars are a vehicle and I am fortunate to be driving a Cadillac: smooth, polished, refined and timeless without being flashy, pretentious, or excessive. Small business requires great dedication and persistence. It is easy to celebrate the successes and gains but it's the love for it that carries you through the pitfalls.
Shayna punim.
PLEASE VISIT

Thanks to Mr. Goldberg for his time and thoughtful responses.
Thanks, as always, for reading.

[No, I don't know why I'm typing on this side of the page.]