Monday, November 30, 2015

Mailbag Monday for 11.30.15

I'm hanging my Chanukah lights. Not a lot of time to chat. Where's my ladder? Here's yer Mailbag.
"How can I break into handicapping horse races?"

I whole-heartily embrace your decision to play the ponies. There remains no better way to make a million bucks, so long as you start with a billion bucks. Especially if you play my picks.

Start with this 'simple' three-prong attack:

  1. Settle on playing a single racetrack - get the story of the track. Know the riders and trainers, in particular.
  2. Stick with two year-olds. Overly-simply, the fastest horses are more likely to win here. 
  3. When in doubt don't. Failing that, go with the bigger barns. They usually get the first pick of talent.

Always remember: don't bet the dough dough.
"What does 'Don't bet the dough dough mean'"

It's a reminder I leave at the end of every pick/tip sheet I post. Means: don't bet the bread money. Might also allude to an extinct bird.
"What's the difference between herring and sardines?"

Canned-wise, seeing as that's the extent of my passable knowledge: not a heckuva lot. Often they're the same fishes under a different label in a different can.
"What's the most important aspect in your cigar grading?"

So important that it near goes without saying, is construction. Without a decent draw and a cigar which remains cigar-shaped -- ya got nothing. All the nuances and complexities mean nada if you can't get to them.

Beyond that, and more a pet peeve of mine, is don't dare me to smoke. Don't flavor bomb or nicotine blast me with a nose burning and/or head spinning stick. I don't often eat steak, and when I do, I don't drown it in ketchup. Too, please do not threaten me or challenge my 'man card.' I ignore threats and if you worry about keeping yer man card -- you're a boychik.
"Can you post more pipe tobacco reviews?"

Yes. Too, I should. Lastly, I shall.
Whilst I have yer att'n:
PORTLAND MEADOWS
Nov. 30th - Noon Post

1: 8 Chickadee on Fire
2: 3 Alliwannabeisgone
3: 2 Thinkin of Girls
4: 4 Quattro Dude
5: 3 Caymus Kat
6: 7 Cat King
7: 9 Curlew Slew
8: 8 Grand Destination
9: 2 Kiri's Gal
10: 5 Dubonnet
I KEEP FORGETTING TO REMEMBER:
Please, please, PLEASE ALREADY! Check out the Yiddish musical styles of one Mr. Anthony Russell. Nu? He's performing at The Kennedy Center in Washington, DC this coming March, epis!