Saturday, November 7, 2015

Mr. Kaplowitz Goes to the Dogs

"I love the dogs more than anything; wouldn't be on this earth with out 'em."

But I'm getting well ahead of myself in trying to relay my conversation with Greyhound breeder and trainer Mr. Buddy Scitern. That is what he said as we hung up. That was the point he wanted to drive home.
On the way there, we discussed his breaking into the business in 1985. He was bit hard by the bug his first time at the dog races. He was green, but willing to learn. In two short years, he celebrated his first litter of pups. Under the wing of his mentor LB Casberg, he had one of his first big successes as a trainer under owner David Jeswald with Rastro Ricky -- a white and brindle fella who won the 1993 Lincoln 2vs1 Marathon Match Race and finished 2nd in 93's Lincoln American Derby.

"Everything I know, he taught me." Says Mr. Scitern of Mr. L.B. Kasberg, "The rest of my life, I'll be grateful for LB." As well he should. He's built quite a life, indeed, around what he loves: the dogs, the farm, and the track.

C & C Greyhound Farms boasts, from their website:
"Our farm is considered one of the top farms in the country with a very nice lighted 1/4 mile training track with electric timer and a 20 crate cool down area.
2 - first class kennels ( 40 & 60 crates )
8 - 100' runs
8 - 200' runs
3 - 250' runs
8 - 430' runs
9 - 50' x 150' puppy pens
13 - Brood Pens
1 - 5 acre fenced-in sprint field
All natural sandy runs Our clean and well kept facilities are open for inspection at anytime. Also convenient for dog haulers coming from all parts of the country."
If all this sounds expensive to partake in as an owner -- please allow me to set you straight. It's actually reasonable enough that I am considering lending my name to a hound. I'd say it'd be a great form of advertising, but who could read "Gather yer aplomb with a Kaplowitz," as it whizzed by at 45mph?
If purchased as a widdle baby doggy doo-doo, we're talking a couple of grand and Mr. Scitern charges a hundy a month to feed and board your future star. At a few months of age, training for the track begins. This requires an extra 50USD monthly, but it covers Mr. Scitern's personal expertise. An expertise, which like his farm, is upper echelon. Anyways, after Greyhound College, the year to 18 month-old grads are off to the track. How this works is that the track collects a 60% rake on earnings and your 40 gets you out the door all paid up and with some spending cash. I would recommend a cigar and another pup.

There are other ways of owning a pooch, such as partnering up with Mr. Scitern hisself, or buying when they're track-ready. But if you've got further questions, hit up the man himself.

"The NGA does spot inspections all the time, and the dogs are tested all the time for drugs." I'm assured when I ask as to my future investment. The care of the dogs is paramount. In Buddy Scitern's case, it's out of love. In other cases, it's the logical protection of invested funds. "I take pictures and send them to the owners everyday, post them to my website. You can watch video, too. We have a bunch of video."

To even further make a case for the working class possibilities, Buddy explains to me a cream of the crop stud fee is a couple thousand bucks. In contrast, American Pharoah's connections are set to collect 2000k per romp.
Buddy's love is a true one, I feel. He loves them for what they are, and what they in turn love -- running. His isn't a self-centered love that would see an animal with a thousand years of racing in his blood, turn adorable couch potato.

In the end, "Everyone gets a good home." Some dogs just aren't for the track, and all get tired out eventually. Buddy adopts out to good homes, as do the tracks. I feel at home talking to Buddy. I can see me sitting across from him at a table. We're sipping coffee and watching the dogs in their run. I can see the mug, actually, it's a well worn earthen brown with blue print. It ain't new and neither is the sport of Dog Racing. I ask if it'll be allowed to grow much older. His response is that of near surprise. I'm informed it is still quite popular. I'm informed it ain't going nowhere.

I want to believe.

"I just had a new litter. Cracks me up, love them," he says. "Three boys -- I call them Moe, Larry, and Curly."


(Larry) Fine. I believe. 

I'm naming mine Shemp -- no! Knobby Walsh (Shemp as Joe Palooka's trainer). Who am I kidding? Dog's name is Kap. Nevertheless...

We'll be checking back in on these Three Stooges periodically. It'll be fun to follow their careers. In the by and by, make sure to visit Buddy Scitern's site HERE.