Monday, October 5, 2015

Mailbag Monday for 10.05.15

Happy Monday, gentlepersons!
Here's yer Mailbag:
"How can I avoid tongue bite?"

Let's first begin with what tongue bite is NOT: it is not 'leather tongue,' 'cotton mouth,' a burnt tongue, or deadly. It is the somewhat unpleasant chemically activated response of our bodies to the pH levels of certain tobaccos versus our own personal chemistry. Accompanying a pipe with acidic drinks such as coffee, colas, and to a lesser extent teas, will re-work these pH levels to be more in your favor.

As to insuring a superior smoking experience all-'round -- leather, cotton, burn, bite, et al -- there are two keys to success:

* Don't smoke overly moist tobacco. Allow it to air-dry before loading a bowl.
* Don't smoke like a winter's chimney. Smoke just enough to keep the embers lit. 

In the event that bite does occur, I hear butter scotch candies like Werther's help sooth, as does a glass of milk. As does not being overly emotional. It's okay and you shall live. Until ya die -- of unrelated causes, of course. 
"How do I light a shaggy foot cigar?"

With a strip of cedar or wooden match, sir.

Toasting the foot will almost always give it a nice pre-light haircut. I suppose you can cut the foot if you desire. I'd only do that if necessary. 
"Do you plan on reviewing marijuana?"

Being as marijuana is not a tobacco, no -- I do not plan on reviewing it. I have had a handful of opportunities via dispensaries to do so, but I opted for not. I have nothing against the stuff, it's just not my thing. I have no taste for it, or for Cheech & Chong references.

I would like to add that occasionally I'll get comments stating I should smoke weed instead of tobacco for health reasons. This is a funny logic. You are inhaling smoke into your lungs. I am not. I don't believe smoke inhalation to be ever a healthy endeavor. Regardless of smoke type.

A lot of this speaks to the near mythical healing powers attributed to marijuana. It very well may be a miracle plant, who knows? No one. I will say that it all sounds historically akin to the previous belief in the medicinal value of other prohibited items such as cocaine, opium, and alcohol. Time, and information gathered, will tell. 
"How can you resuscitate a dried cigar?"

The very same way a dentist works on an alligator: carefully. Although anaesthetising the cigar is highly unnecessary.

Most importantly is to not freak out. NEVER FREAK OUT!!! DON'T DO IT!!! Now that we're calm, let's introduce some humidity into the equation, shall we?

A caveat: if it's a cheap stogie, you might want to buy another or at least not bust yer chops by doing as I'm about to say. Maybe throw it in a Ziploc with a moisture pack. Maybe smoke it dry. Maybe, as said, toss it. But for a more prized offering:

The keyword is SLOWLY.

1) expose cigar(s) to a damp locale such as a cellar, basement, or Anna Nicole Smith's size 22 Guess jeans. Anywhere moisture gathers. Rest them there for about a week, quarter-turn rotating them daily.

2) after a week or two, place them in a tupperdor with a moisture packet or two. I say tupperdor in lieu of humidor because the cedar in a humidor aerates moisture, meaning it both absorbs and releases it at the same time. The result is that you won’t be able to build up said moisture to mandated levels in a humi. Quarter turn them daily until they've made two full rotations.

3) Place in humidor and alllow a good week's rest.

There are many different tactics to employ in saving dried cigars (or attempting to). This is mine. While many will work, it is worth noting that a definition of working sadly does not entail a full return to the cigar's former glory. Wrappers will be fragile, flavors will be muted.

Thanks as ever and as always for reading. 
Thanks too, for your questions. 
Those can be sent to me via Twitter 
@iamkap through an @ or a DM.