Friday, August 14, 2015

Jose Blanco Senorial Cigar Review

Prologue:
8:ish-pm

Each cigar requires a celebration or a trial, however mundane whichever may be. I look over at the Dollar Store shopping bag next to me on my porch. Wayfarer shades (get yerself a pair of cheap sunglasses), a clear glass coffee mug, and sherry glass. Three bucks. Nice haul. It makes up for a lousy Thrift Shop haul yesterday. I will not pay twenty bucks for a pair of jeans someone else farted in -- I don’t care what the label says.

That’s really all I got for this slot, fellas. Hope it was enough for you. Ya picky bastards. Tell ya what, before I let you piss me off even further, let’s jump into

The Cigar:
Las Cumbres Tabaco
(Jose Blanco)
SeƱorial Cigars
Habano Ecuador wrapper
Nicaragua, Esteli binder
Dominican Piloto Cubano Dominican Corojo filler
Toro Bravo 6 x 54

[fleuron, would Blogger fix my account]


Pre-light:
Very heavy nose of deep molasses and dark chocolate notes. A Case could be made for leather, red clay, and wood secondary notes to be a strong as the primary notes of many a cigar. This sucker’s got a nose like Jimmy Durante.

The packing is even and moderate. The wrapper feels exquisite -- not oily, but well-oiled. Smooth as a baby’s bottom and has a certain elegance I’m certain I failed at translating via the baby bottom comparison. There are veins but delicately so and seams are not a thought. I find myself fondling the thing as I sit on my porch and type. The cigar, I mean.

Let’s not forget the band. A lovely and traditional thing. After a few views at newer school offerings, this is like coming home again -- to my grandfather’s house. This I say with joy.

[picture of band, would Blogger fix my account]

A cold pull highlights first the wonderful texture of the stick. Simply, it feels nice in my smoke-hole. It then fills my palate with a surprising lively vanilla cream note that is among the stronger cold notes I’ve lately experienced. Held up in the sinuses, there is a hint at cedar, and once dropping to the palate, it lingers in sweet vanilla cream in a very long fashion. At the end of the finish molasses, dark chocolate, and red clay return. Un-mottled and, again surprisingly, much delineated.

Quite the impressive cold draw. Since I got ‘em, I might as well smoke ‘em.

Let us --

Light:
Molasses and nuttiness are immediate upon the easy light. Toasting the footer was not a stubborn nor aggressive affair. The flavors straight through to finish is a warm version of the cold draw. I could use some more spices to carry off the cream, and I type that, a white pepper appears upon the horizon.

The pepper is quite visible on a retro-hale and it moderates the sweet finish very well. The wood is rearing up in cozy fashion as we are now, fair to say, into the

1/3:
As it heats, a hearty white bread toast is becoming a factor. This is much more of a subdued, a restrained, affair than I’d predicted.

The draw is on the tight side, which may lend a hand to this restraint -- but it does not seem stifled, instead, it seems well-heeled.

The output of smoke is the heavy side of medium and perhaps a bit beyond, but very kind and woodsy with a nice dollop of cream. It brings a ski lodge to mind and I wonder how this would pair with a cup of hot cocoa. With scotch in it. Pardon. Scotch with hot cocoa in it.

The ash is piling on thick and the burn, even. Very nice, but I am hoping the draw loosens. I feel a bit like I’m driving a Porsche, unable to leave second gear.

A walnut note comes to play now, with an oily finish that allows it a nice role in the finish. It’s a long and full finish that lasts until the next pull. It is a variation on the theme of inherent natural sweetnesses -- as am I.

The main taste is of wood and molasses carried on bread. A sandwich fit for any king other than Elvis. A mild black pepper is in the sinuses only and drops to the palate as a dark yet un-challenging and cozy tobacco.

The burn is very slow and I, sirs and madams, am quite alright with that. As all flavors listed herein come to play at their seemingly appointed times. I feel as though I am watching a well-trained ensemble cast giving a tour de force performance.

An inch of ash clumps off suddenly and my thrift shop new to me black dress shirt now is full of character. Although it was the very moment I put it on, I must admit.

2/3:
The draw has not tightened, but too has not loosened and I employ a toothpick to poke into the head. It frees it up substantially and now we shall see what this baby got. I search for music and although not my first choice today, I feel that this offering begs some big band.

Yes, Tommy Dorsey, I get sentimental over you, as well. The notes remain consistent and I already long for another. A terrific smoke. I’ll allow you to imagine “Moonlight Serenade” playing us into the

3/3:
A bulge then crack appears midway down the remainder of the stick, but does not interfere with the smoke. I am surprised as Donald Trump in a windstorm, however.

Molasses takes center stage now and it is a white pepper, albeit bold, which backs it. Earthiness and walnuts remain as a supporting cast and leather appears here and there.

A lovely smoke, but like all mainly sweet offerings, a bit laborious at its end and the stiff pull adds to that. I could have used a bit more crispness, but as I stated: lovely. Some aid in avoiding the sweet muck.

Toward the finale, there are sweet spices of warmed cinnamon and nutmeg to cap yer night.

[a second fleuron, would Blogger fix my account]


Notes:
It is quite ashy. That simply gives the wifey something to tend to. I kid, I kid because my wife would kill me if I did not.

A Corojo offering as restrained as you might see in some time. This restraint allows the positive: a well displayed set of nuances. Too, negative: sweetness was allowed to roam unbridled a bit more than I’d preferred.

There are solitary smokes and there is this smoke. This smoke begs a poker game among pals. This would move the final third from the brink of tedious to a lovely extension of the evening with good conversation and, hopefully, hot hands.
I wonder if the brilliance of this blend is a burden too heavy to bear throughout. A weight akin to talking theoretical physics with Leonard Susskind. The cushioning of genius via the common man might speak to why this offering would like a poker night gathering. Foie Gras in a metal lunch pail might prove a rose by any other name --

Pairings:
Oxymoron aside, a full-bodied Ethiopian (coffee) would play well. Cognac. Cognac would play better. A sherry would, as well -- try an oloroso -- employ a drier one toward the final third. The nuttiness is there for depth.

Final Grade: B
(A very high grade for a bulge and tear affair replete with tight draw. Construction was an issue, surprisingly.)

Epilogue:
10:12pm
I’m tired and have just enough time for a snoot full of Sherry before the Golden Girls come on television. Ta, yo.
_____________
Special thanks and gratitude in abundance to Cigar Reserve. Please to go peruse their fine selection of premium cigars and cedar spills.