Thursday, October 4, 2018

Providencia Cigars The Hostage - Cigar Review by Kaplowitz

"Have you Kaplowitz'd today?"


Providencia The Hostage
WRAPPER: Mexican San Andres
BINDER: Indonesian
FILLER: Nicaraguan, Honduran

FORMAT: Toro, box-pressed
ORIGIN: Danli, Honduras La Pequena Vega Cigar Factory
STRENGTH: Full

NOTES: Notes are too dense to be sharp -- but are edgy af. Strong, too. Like an emo kid on the football squad. A driving dark chocolate/burnt brownie with an almost cloyingly sweet Purple Drank undertone. Then darkly charred grains as far as the eye can see. Airily stuffed, quickly rounding box-press. Burn is jagged but shy of requiring retouch. and threatens to blister once. Draw is open & evenly-so. The strength here is unsettled & unsettling.

FINAL GRADE: B-
A 90-100 B 80-89 C 70-79 D 60-69 F 0-59

Sadly, I feel this is a step back for Providencia, who seemed to be getting better with each of their previous offerings. You can find my reviews of those HERE.


"The Hostage is a nom de tobacco in homage to founder Jim Faber's experience of being kidnapped in Honduras. Is it "the" Honduras? Like The Bronx? I wanna say yeah. The cigar is to be offered in a singular box-pressed Toro format w/ San Andres top-leaf over Indonesian binder & Nicaraguan, Hondy guts. It's set to flesh out the full side of Providencia's portfolio spectrum, in terms of palate. it will be available in 10ct. boxes w/ a total production of 1,050 rolled."

The following via www.Halfwheel.com:
“Through my soccer work and mission in Honduras I got close to the mayor of the town and was eventually asked if I would consider helping young members of a gang get off the street through my soccer camps and school,” Faber said in a press release. “Accepting the challenge, I developed a friendship with the young players and their parents as we helped to turn their lives by way of soccer.”

He said that one day at the field, he was abducted by some men who forced him into a car, and with the assistance of some of the kids’ fathers who stepped in to help him amidst a flurry of gun fire, he was eventually able to get free.

“I was later told by the U.S. military investigator that a Mexican gang had moved into the country and they believed it was these gang members that tried to kidnap me,” Faber added.

Hi, me again, Kap. Seems like I'd rather smoke something to forget that than to remember it. 


Report a typo, win a No-prize.

Follow @KaplowitzMedia on Twitter
Like Kaplowitz Media on Facebook HERE
& join the Kaplowitz Media Group HERE

Keep me going.
Keep me GROWING.
Go HERE for ways to support K/M.

84. Kaplowitz Radio Monday