Saturday, September 23, 2017

Joseph Parker vs. Hughie Fury: A Boxing Retrospective

Gentlepersons, ketchup to snuff by reading first my Joseph Parker vs. Hughie Fury: Preview & Prediction wherein I was wrong but not woefully-so. Via my Twitter, I tweeted regarding the weigh-in: "An egged-on and fleshy-skinny Fury gave fleshy-round Parker a shove at weigh-in. Parker: 247, Fury
225."

Ah, but to-day's/night's fight (dependant upon yer geographies)...
"Manchester, England - In a battle of undefeated fighters, Joseph Parker (24-0, 18 KOs) won a twelve round majority decision over Hughie Fury (20-1, 10 KOs) to retain the WBO heavyweight championship. The scores were 114-114 for the draw, 118-110, 118-110 for Parker." - Boxing Scene

Not as bad a row as some said it was, but too a row in the wheel-house of my personal tastes. Boxer vs Puncher may be a tick over-selling it, as Fury spent much of the bout pedaling as if in the Tour de France, whilst the medium-hitting Parker plodded ahead sans an iota of imagination. Mildly cerebral, maybe? Neither was injured, sans an accidental head-but in the fourth stanza which left Fury a'gash only momentarily. In the sixth and again in the ninth and twelfth, Parker upped his pursuit, yet to no true avail. As Fury stayed cool (too cool, ultimately) and controlled distance at times nigh expertly-so. 

I had Fury the winner, but of many a close round as they all were close rounds. Of note was the loosely hung ropes which aided Fury in his retreats. What else aided him was his very nice and surprisingly so foot-work... or perchance I was guilty of comparing him solely against Parker's simplistic Kamikaze-ing. In a bout twixt the Kiwi and Deontay Wilder, it's possible not a single blow would be tallied. 

All told, it was forward motion which won the day or night for Joseph Parker, but I never score on sheer pressing. And none of his added to bubkis. Fury fought his fight, and I look more keenly to that. Nevertheless, I was correct on all points less the the winner, but too correct in stating no one (including myself) would care 'nuff to bellow. I still say Hughie Fury has more up-side, as I said before -- but more up-side than none ain't nothing to hang any hat on.

It'd be fantastic if I could remember it is JOSEPH and not Anthony PARKER. My apologies.
"I Was the Cook" Kaplowitz Radio: September 20, 2017